PVA emulsion coat before wall painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
A newbie here.
I have never done any room decorating myself but I am going to give it a go in one room for now.

My other half said that before I paint the walls with the paint, I should firstly prepare them with an emlusion of PVA, that it is better. Like a base or first coat. And that it comes cheaper, too. And that it has a better paint adherence, better coverage or the final finish. I tried to find some info on internet but the info it is scarce, besides people having issues with patches that the paint does not adhere to after the previous PVA use.

Can someone enlighten me (an maybe my other half as well) whether this is actually true? Pros and cons?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
FFS NO!

PVA glue is water soluble. Emulsion paint contains water. When you put the paint on it, the glue will soften and partially dissolve. If you wipe the wall clean with a damp sponge, or if you breathe too hard, the paint is liable to bubble up or peel off.

There are still a few people who recommend putting glue on walls. Not many, as most have been killed by angry decorators.

Thanks. I share your sentiment in green, btw. :D

Nooooooo! Unless you like trying to paint a teflon like surface step away from the PVA.(n)
If the walls are plain unpainted plaster give them a mist coat first, that is simply a diluted coat of emulsion 15 to 20 % water to paint. The idea is for it to soak in and seal the surface.
A matt paint, white is ideal is best for this.
When dry away you go with two coats of your chosen paint. Avoid cheap own brands for your first attempt and also avoid Farrow and Ball it is really expensive and even professional painters hate it, difficult to apply and to get a good finish.
Good luck(y)

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I should have said that the walls have been painted before, at least once. The latest was quite a poor job as I can see...

I meant it to footprints, after he elaborated on the unpainted plaster. The walls are not too bad, like dirt and stains. Does the washing liquid suffice instead of sugar soap?

Washing up liquid is less effective than sugar soap or flash cleaner which are both a bit stronger than liquid and do not contain additives to give you soft sweet smelling hands.

OK, thanks, got one now. One more question: is it better to sand the walls first (there are some stickers residues left on one place) and then wash, or wash first and then sand? To me it makes sense to do the first option.

if you have sticky stuff, it may need a solvent such as white spirit.

I think I'd sugar-soap first then see what is left.

Lightly wiping with a fine grade of paper will remove any paint nibs, brush hairs etc. and deglaze the old paint. I'd do that last, then damp-wipe off the resultant dust. if the wall is dirty or sticky it will clog the paper. Walls tend to be dirtier near the top.

Wot JD said(y) just a bit of solvent on any sticky bits first.

Thanks guys. I washed some walls, I can see the dried dirty strikes. I dusted it before. Still makes strikes. Keep cleaning them. I found a sticky labels remover solution I forgot I bought. It still was a tough job. I think they used a double sided foam to stick the name of the kid on the wall and it was there for a long time.
How long approx waiting after the soap cleaning walls before I can use the sanding paper?

as soon as it is dry.

But if you get streaks after sugar-soaping, wipe them off with an old towel while they are wet. Dirt tends to run down the walls and show.

I only see it after it dries, at least partially. I act when I see it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back