Spray PVA before I paint the walls?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have refurbished my old house and have to paint it now from top to bottom on new skimmed plaster walls, I am going to use a "new plaster" paint that is supposed to be only one coat necessary as I am selling it you see and apparently this one coat of new plaster paint is what they do in new houses when they show people around... Anyway, apparently sometimes you can see patches and that's where you put two coats on, however, someone mentioned to me the other day that if I spray PVA (I already have a PVA compressor and spray gun from plastering), it will be quick and definately only one coat will be required with a better (stronger I guess) finish. The guy in the decorating centre didn't know what to make of it and hadn't heard of that, any ideas??? It seems a quicker and easier solution than 2 coats if it is effective, please help!?

Sponsored Links
NO WAY!.....ONCE AGAIN THE CURE ALL PVA RAISES ITS UGLY HEAD!!!

Firstly....you going about it all wrong...paint for new plaster isnt a one coat magicoat finish....it should be thinned out and applied as a mist coat.

The reason its for new plaster is not so it will cover in one..its so the plaster can 'breath'...

Theres a good chance it will blow if its put on too thick.

Its also wasteful.......if you put the paint on too thick you will use too much, it will be hard to apply and the walls will look like they have been artexed.

If you pva the walls first it will stop the paint soaking in, and will cause the roller to skid...making a one coat finish even harder.

What you are thinking of really is a waste of time it will cost you more..it wont work..and you'l have to do it again anyway...

Dont bother with 'paint for new plaster' brands....just buy a tub of decent contract matt thin it by 30% for the first coat and about the same for the second if you want to finish the walls in two coats.

The proper way btw is one thinned coat coat..(i use dulux supermatt or brolac super flat...thinned by 50%) I then thin the second and third coats by around 30%....but ratios vary deepending on the paint...if you buy cheap cr*p you wont be able to thin it much....cheap paint is a false economy...avoid the 15 litres for a fiver stuff....its rubbish.

What you are thinking of really is a waste of time it will cost you more..it wont work..and you'l have to do it again anyway...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back