Pva new plaster before painting - or not!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had an extension multifinished over boards and it looks like it has started to dry out niceley.

My plasterer has advised me to apply pva diluted 5 to 1 before painting.
I think this advice is to stop the new paint going nowhere.

Looking through this forum at other posts this advice does not seem to be the correct approach.

Could anyone clear this up for me.

Andy.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
never pva before paintin the pva is water soluable and will emulsify (cnt spell it) causing the paint so slip and slide all over the place as a result the paint wnt bond properly to the plaster and the finish will be uneven and look terrible.
so many people have been told pva is the way to paint and i dnt know where these people get there information from even my father in law asked me last nite can i plaster his bathroom then he will pva it and paint it with exterior weathershield :eek:

Most definitely NO; your plasterer is a complete knob :rolleyes: , I hope his plastering work is better than the advice he's given you :confused:

EDIT:
To prime new plaster skim; after letting the plaster dry 10 – 14 days, use ordinary cheap matt white emulsion, thin it 25-30% with water & apply 2-3 coats in quick succession. Let this it dry overnight before applying your chosen paint finish; assuming he’s left a good enough finish not to need any filling!

I have thought about this and I dont think you should use that white stuff that is very sticky and comes in plastic containers.I just cant think of its name. Maybe the lads on here will know what its called....
;)

I have thought about this and I dont think you should use that white stuff that is very sticky and comes in plastic containers.I just cant think of its name. Maybe the lads on here will know what its called....
;)

Yoghurt????? :LOL:

I have done similar research into this and one reason for NOT using PVA was because it causes a seal and therefore traps any moisture left in the plaster

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back