PVA on a Damp Wall? Advice needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Decorating the nursery, came across 2 walls that had damp on them, so being on a budget, I used a mould and mildew solution and for now it seems to have worked. But someone told me I should paint the walls with PVA before painting them as it might help stop the damp coming back. So I was about to do it but wondered if I would have to dilute the pva?

Any suggestions are most definatley welcome as you can tell I have no idea!

Thanks in advance
Babs x

Sponsored Links
don't use PVA under paint. Clean off all old dirt and paste, fragments of old paper etc, by wetting it well and using a wide metal scraper.

Find the source of the damp and cure it. Most often it is condensation but it might be a leaking pipe or gutter.

If you tightly tape a piece of clear plastic to the wall you can see if damp forms on the wall side or the room side.

Never drape wet washing about the house.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

Thanks John, the walls that were covered in damp were outside walls. It started in the corner then spread like dots all over the 2 walls( they are just plain normal cream painted walls).
We now have the window open slightly or the de-humidifyer on but for how long?

Do you suggest we should just paint the walls with normal paint or kitchen and bathroom paint which has been suggested to us.

Thanks
Babsx

normal emulsion will be OK. read the instructions re a mist coat.

you will have to identify the source of the damp.

Wet washing is the most terrible cause. Otherwise, use extractor in bathroom during and after use, ventilate bedrooms and use kitchen extractor. Condensor driers do blow out some steam though you can't see it. A vented drier is far better as well as cheaper to buy and run.

Sponsored Links
Babs...just caught your post...agree with what John says..

One thing though...IMO id avoid the kitchen and bathrooom paint..it really is hard work and you can have alsorts of grief with it.

Dulux..the original makers of the stuff successfully marketed the stuff in such a way it convinced people that its the only paint you can use for kitchens and bathrooms...trust me/us..it isnt.

Thanks Zampa, I think it was suggested as they thought it might be more suitable for damp walls? Anyway have just got some normal paint so as soon as I have a burst of energy it will be done!! Thanks guys. x

Hi Babs..

Nah..the only thing for damp walls is stopping the source of damp first, allowing the wall to dry as much as it is practicable then applying a damp sealer followed by the finish coats..

No paint in the world will 'cure' damp...and as for PVA...dont even consider it

Good luck with the painting...personally I think its a waste of a 'burst of energy, but there ya go!

Thanks for the kiss...call again..lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back