PVA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys ive just pva my platered wall ready to paint,and i've just read one off the posts that say do not pva the wall after plastering as this will stop the paint sticking to the wall,im alittle worried now that my paint wont stick to the wall.should i dillute the paint with water still and hope for the best as ive done this to my hall stairs and landing...

Sponsored Links
You should not prime plaster with PVA prior to painting, it's best if you can remove it.
It will form a barrier between the plaster and paint and the outcome will be that the paint peels away, rather than soaking into the plaster.
Sometimes water and scraper can help, even steaming it off or using a softening solution.
Who has ever advised you has given you a headache.

I don’t know who dreamt up this little gem but NEVER PVA walls before painting or mix it with paint. Use lots of warm water, a kitchen scourer & scraper, try & try & get rid of it as much as you can. Be careful if using a steamer, don’t leave it in one place to long; if plaster skim gets too hot, it will pop off the wall. Let it dry out thoroughly Scuff all over with sandpaper & apply 2/3 coats of ordinary cheap matt white emulsion in quick succession as a mist coat. Let it dry overnight, apply you chosen finish & hope for the best. Depending how much the plaster was “polished” & how much you thinned the PVA, it may come of in a sort of film/scum but if the plaster grain is open & the PVA has soaked well into the pours you may have still adhesion problems in the future.

As PBD says, whoever advised you to use PVA has given you a serious headache & delayed your decoration by some margin :cry: ; I’d cross them off my Christmas card list. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
cheer up, at least you didn't already paint and were on here asking what had gone wrong and worse again, at least you didn't PVA the wall and then tile over!! :eek: had a mate employ a 'professional' tiler who PVA'd her new wet room walls and floor and then tiled !............... not even two weeks before they started to 'pop'!

the non pva painting thing i understand, might as well cover the new skim in cling flim!, however the comment about pva then tiles... i know alot of people who always pva before tiling, please enlighten me

Standard PVA is water based; they now do a waterproof one but I don’t know what the difference between that & SBR. It will re-emulsify when it absorbs moisture from tile adhesive; at best this can give problems with initial adhesion, delaying the set time, at worse your tiles could fall off if used in a wet area & moisture gets to it. Water proof tile adhesive is only waterproof to the extent it won’t break down when wet, it still absorbs water, unless it’s one of the very expensive epoxy based products. Also have a look here;
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/f...8&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
There are other articles if you search. ;)

It's all overstated. 20 years ago we always used PVA and in all that time I've never had a problem with it. I use SBR now but some manufacturers actually tell you to use PVA. If your tiles are that bad they fall off it's not due to PVA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back