PVAing is messy!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
right chaps,

i know you fellas must have some home made gizmos for making PVAing less messy, getting kinda tired of diluting it then rolling in on to the walls/ceiling and it ending up all over the floor too, trying to improve my tidyness at moment so that i can get out of the jobs more quickly at the end and not spend any longer than necessary cleaning up etc.

any ideas greatfully received

Sponsored Links
:LOL: thanks chaps! downside of being a 1 man band is that i am my own labourer, may have to consider changing that...

Sponsored Links
Hey TM,, i'm a one man band as well, and i do everything from mixing to cleaning up. :cool: Most of the time, i put on pva/bonding as a slurry using a brush, but any time i do use a roller with pva,,,, i don't make it too runny. ;)

Roughcaster.

hi RC!

Bonding in with the PVA eh? neat PVA? how does that work if you dilute according to manufacturers instructions for high suction backgrounds? do you use a 5:1 first which is almost water like and just deal with the mess after, then a 3:1 with some bonding in?

obviously on low/no suction backgrounds it's suggested you use PVA neat, tried this recently in the warm weather though and it dried way to quickly.

TM, i don't mix the pva and bonding coat together as one, to make the slurry. I make up a seperate quantity of bonding in a small bucket, and keep putting some on the hawk,, the brush is then dipped into the pva, which is then dipped into the bonding on my hawk, and brushed onto the wall. Each brush load (normally 3"or 4"brush) slurrys around a couple of square feet 'ish. You can never miss any area of wall because of the colour, and it can never made too watery. It's a consistent mix. It's a home made version of bond-it, i've done it for years. The slurry is obviously not required on new plasterboard, although if a new patch was put into an old wall, i would tape it, then slurry over it to give it the same suction/surface as the rest.
As i said earlier, if i do need to use a roller with diluted pva to control suction, i don't over dilute it, and make it too runny. 99% of the walls/ceilings i do, whether painted plasterboard or otherwise, are coated with bonding coat,( 2 tight coats) and then multi. I think bonding coat spreads over the dry, rough, pva/bonding slurried surface, much easier than over a smooth, wet pva'd surface.

Roughcaster.

that's great RC! :D

so one last question, you let the pva slurry dry completely i presume?

thanks again mate, new technique altogether this but i like the sound of it and will give it a go.

Exacly the same as bond-it, let it dry for 24 hrs. I slurry the old painted walls/ceiling one day, then it's ready for plastering over any time.

Roughcaster.

morning RC! :D

thanks again! i'm definitely going to try this next time, i've given wickes bonding agent a try recently but i'm not convinced by it ability to control suction, key is good mind but think you're way is more cost effective, plus i kinda like the smell of PVA ;) and bonding!

do you ever go onto your slurry with multi or is the bonding in it too coarse/big for just a skim coat?

sorry mate, once i get going the question come forth thick and fast

Morning TM.
Yes, i have gone over it with multi before,, it's similar to going over a small stipple. If you do get an extra proud lump, knock it away with the trowel corner.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back