PVC drain pipe question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I was hoping somone can give me advice on a drain pipe issue

I have a drain pipe from the toilet running down through some pretty thick concrete and need to attach the shower pipe to this.
I have removed all the concrete around a seciton of the pipe about 15 cm, however above and below the section is still loads of concrete, plus the flat is on the 2nd floor so the concrete probably goes down a long way.

Due to the space of the shaft its not practicalto cut out a section of the pipe and replace it with a T

My question is: Is there anything stopping me from making a hole in the pipe and cementing a joint in place over that using PVC cement.
Is this doable and what would be best?

My idea at the moment is to take an existing T joing, cut it in half (length wise) and glue the half with the connector onto the exisiting drain pipe, then simple drilll the hole through.

Any advice or critisim would be much appreciated.

Thanks

j

Sponsored Links
Cutting a junction (T joint) will not give the correct circumference on the inside to solvent-weld straight on to a piece of pipe.

Use a strap-on boss and an adaptor:
View media item 35334

Your post is a bit vague, is this wet drain or a soil stack? Are you really in Germany?

Cutting & welding on part of a fitting is unlikely to give you a water tight seal & a strap on boss may well be the answer but there are regulations covering how/where you can connect in the UK & I’m sure there must be in Germany. Get it wrong & you could have “Richards” coming up through your shower waste when you flush the loo.

I think that there are many restrictions in Germany about who can do certain plumbing jobs!

Sponsored Links
Yup, ze Germans have rules for everytzing you can possibly think of... the most risk averse nation I have ever met :)

Agile's idea on a strap on (did not know they existed) sounds like a good plan. The problem is I have never seen a strap on joint in any hardware store around here, but they can be ordered online from german retailers, so I guess they are not completely illegal :)

Thanks for the advice.

Your post is a bit vague, “Richards” coming up through your shower waste when you flush the loo.
Mein Gott :eek: You are more likely to have Kaisers in Germany - Khazi Kaisers :mrgreen: . Knock knock in der pipewerk - who`s there . Gestapo :rolleyes:

Sorry Charnwood, my typo - you did indeed suggest the strap on

Aplogies!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back