PWA in place agreed and work started...Trying to remove access to complete work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the title.

Our neighbour agreed the Party wall notice without the need for surveyors as they 'worked for an architect so knows about these things!'.

The work was started and I've managed myself to get it up to Damp course level and I'm now dealing with the oversight and drains ready for the floor slab to go in. Because of various issues its taken a little longer than I'd like but I am just one and and I can only work so fast while also working full time and having a fairly busy side hustle. They knew this when they agreed to the PWN. I will be getting a Bricklayer in for the actual wall construction as I know my limits.

I bought and put up a couple of fence panels attached to posts in concrete buckets so they had a bit of privacy but obviously they were on there own side of the boundary to give me room to work.

They've now decided that they want the fence moved all the way back over the boundary line giving me no room to work and that I can't have access to their garden anymore and the bricklayer has to work over the top of the wall putting it up from the back.

Oh and on top of that the two panels I've put in for privacy are no longer sufficient and they need it completely closed off(it is my boundary to maintain)

Firstly can the access be withdrawn after the PWN was agreed even though it doesn't explicitly state any thing about access or a timelimit?

Secondly am I right in thinking that all I'm obliged to do to maintain the boundary is put up a bit of wire/string?

Sponsored Links
A friend was in a similar situation, bricklayer had to work from just one side, the pointing on the neighbour's side of the wall was very messy looking.

Seeing the mess due to his refusal to allow access the neighbour relented and allowed access

You don't have to maintain any boundary feature at all if you don't want to. If the neighbour wants a fence, it is up to them to put it up on their land. I would point out exactly what Bernard has said - you are quite happy for the builder to work overhand, but it's likely to look far messier from their side if he does.

Did you specify that access would be required (or any other criteria) when you served the notice? If not the adjoining owner has not agreed to it.

As for the fence, if you own it you can do what you like with it as long as it's on the boundary or your land, not the neighbours land.

Sponsored Links
Did you specify that access would be required (or any other criteria) when you served the notice? If not the adjoining owner has not agreed to it.

As for the fence, if you own it you can do what you like with it as long as it's on the boundary or your land, not the neighbours land.

The PWN was a very basic one with no specifics beyond our basic drawings showing wall positions in relation to the boundary line. We only decided to do the full party wall as we gained an extra 2 feet internally and the neighbour was happy to sign it without surveyors getting involved. If they had wanted surveyors we would have just not bothered and set it back from the boundary as the small gain would be worth the increased cost.

You don't have to maintain any boundary feature at all if you don't want to. If the neighbour wants a fence, it is up to them to put it up on their land. I would point out exactly what Bernard has said - you are quite happy for the builder to work overhand, but it's likely to look far messier from their side if he does.

Thanks to you and Bernard. We have messaged to that effect and we will see what they say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back