PWA: Neighbours Surveyor - Excessive Charge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our surveyor put forward the PWA to our neighbours, in September last year. They argued against it and had a surveyor of their own appointed. We have just received the award and the upshot is that there are to be NO changes to the plans BUT we must produce proof of insurance from our builder to ensure we can cover any problems.

The problem? Their surveyor is charging us £1500 for this!!!

Does this sound fair or like they are trying to pull a fast one? Does anyone have any experience?

I have not asked for a itemised bill yet. Am I entitled to one?
Frankly I really am shocked by the sum. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Well since your surveyor presumably had to do the same work, how does it compare to his bill ?

Sponsored Links
Well since your surveyor presumably had to do the same work, how does it compare to his bill ?

Not so. The building owner's surveyor prepares the award and documents. The adjoining owner's surveyor merely checks the award and documents and signs it. For a simple domestic extension I would not expect the fee for that to be more than about £500. Usually the adjoining surveyor would quote an hourly rate for anything arising beyond the normal award stage. i.e. if the project goes tits up and needs to be sorted out.

I think you should first ask the adjoining surveyor to justify their fees. If you are still unhappy you can challenge the fee through the third surveyor. But I would check to see how much that might cost you before you go down that route.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back