Pyronix, Galaxy and who else?

8 core is definitely the way to go the price difference is not that much either compared to 6 core,Make sure you buy quality CQR alarm cable pure copper preferably, there is a lot of soft brittle rubbish alarm cable out there.

As for upstairs it depends how easy or likely someone can get access to upstairs, every property is different, Only you can be the judge of that, As a rule of thumb you generally fit a pir to cover the upstairs landing.

Sponsored Links
Haha brilliant. I have literally just been reading an old thread on the forum about cable and 8 core CQR screened cable was consistently mentioned, and as you say circa £25 for a role is bugger all.

I'm starting to get the idea behind some of this now I think.
Couple of extra questions if I could.....
Got a downstairs window in the lounge that doesn't open. Does that need a shock sensor on it? Now I appreciate that it wouldn't then set the alarm off if they come through that window, but I was more wondering is if fixed upvc windows are secure enough to not be needing a sensor, and only opening windows that could be 'jimmied' open need to be protected.
As for upstairs PIR.... The dog would have free reign of the house which means a normal PIR wouldn't work in case it wanders upstairs. From the earlier posts it suggests the pet PIRs are not good enough so how do I go about protecting upstairs..... or don't I?
Lastly...... HAHA! Do I have to buy the shock sensors and door sensors that match the alarm panel or as it's wired are they all interchangeable? If so, is there a 'better brand to go for?

A window downstairs is a vulnerable point so yes I would fit a shock sensor, You can use any brand it doesn't need to be specific to the panel, honeywell viper gl and glx are good. Without looking at your property is difficult to say, never knew you had a dog, when you fit a burglar alarm,you look for all vulnerable points in your house and you protect them with detectors, usually downstairs is protected and upstairs is not, because its unlikely people will break in from upstairs. You know your house better than most its up to you, some people have extensions which can easily be climbed and then gain access to an upstairs window, in which case you fit a pir in that room or shock sensor in your case. its your decision at the end of the day, how likely do you think someone will break in to your upstairs windows?, if its unlikely leave them.Most Burglars want to be in and out as quickly as possible without being detected, they don't want to make things difficult for themselves.

That makes perfect sense. As you say, upstairs is unlikely to be bothered as it's likely to be too much hassle to get to. There is one window at the top of the stairs that is above the garage which could be the only vulnerable one, so I'll have to protect that one.
So Honeywell Viper range to look at, any other good brands for me to look at?

Now I need to decide on a control panel and keypads. Should I go for wired or wireless keypads?

Sponsored Links
I have a patio with an outdoor Risco WatchOut dual technology detector with two german shepherd dogs and I am very happy with it. I discoradge the dogs going there but whenever they went to the patio they never triggered the alarm. Neither have any other animal, like birds, insects, cats. Have to respect instalation height.

With pet immunity on the detector doesn't catch an intruder as accurately as a normal detector, and the detector is quite large for an indoor detector but you might want to consider it. Risco also has indoor pet immune detectors : iWise DT Pet (pet friendly up to 45Kg) but don´t have experience with it.

Thanks for the info pal. :)

The PIRs would certainly speed up the installation as it means a small hole into the roof rather than channelling out walls, but as the house is a mess and there's dust everywhere, I guess now's the time to do the channelling. It will hopefully mean no false alarms and not worrying if the pet sensors are doing their job or not.

If I knew for certain they would be fine, I'd use them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back