Pyronix Paragon E PIRs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good day, folks.

I have a Paragon E alarm with four very old PIRs that have been painted over by several generations of decorators. Other than that, it is (OK, was) still in perfect working order.

I decided to change the old PIRs which look like this
20230415_144300.jpg

The board inside looks like this

20230415_144204.jpg

And are wired from R-L, Red, Black, Blue, Yellow, Empty, Empty. Red/ black is carrying 22.5mV (yes, mV) and the Blue/ Yellow Pair is carrying 13.5V (blue live).

I was advised to replace the PIRs with these Pyronix MEQ Blue units.

I2-MEQ-Blue-e1509123494704.png

The terminals on these boards are +ve and -ve - which I assume are Red and Black respectively (although the new PIR says it wants 15mA @12Vdc... ), two zone terminals N & C, and two Tamper terminals. Since removing the cover on the old PIR didn't trigger the tamper alarm, I'm assuming that Blue and Yellow are the Zone wires (although this circuit is marked in the docs for the new units as requiring 50mA @ 60V).

So, I've connected red to +ve, black to -ve and blue and yellow to the zone terminals. So far so good.

However... None of the PIRs - old or new are showing the sensor "trigger" light if I jump up and down/ wave my arms in front of them. If I try to set the alarm, all the zone lights on hte panel illuminate - regardless of whether it's a new or old PIR at the end of the wire.

So, I don't seem to be getting enough power out of the panel to run these PIRs; is this because they're not actually compatible with the panel, or because the panel has suddenly gone duff? Is that why I'm not getting any response from the tell-tales and all the zones are going into alarm state when I try to set the panel? And if so, why aren't the old PIRs still working?

Any advice gratefully accepted. Many thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
You, Sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

One blown fuse located.

Many thanks for your help.

I shall now go away and give myself a good talking to! I really ought to have thought about a fuse!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back