Pythagorus Theory

AndersonC said:
noseall said:
i tell people the 3,4,5 method.

if side A is 3 units, adjacent side B is 4 units then side C (hypotenuse) is 5 units. easy to remember.

3sq = 9
4sq = + 16
----
= 25

sq root of 25= 5.

Also 5, 12, 13.

5sq = 25
12sq = 144

Sum these = 169

Sq root of 169 = 13.

So if you have two perpendicular sides of the triangle measuring 12 and 5 inches the hypotenuse is 13 inches.

.........yeah 5, 12, 13 is ok but not as easy to remember as 3, 4, 5. ;)

Sponsored Links
gosh! started a right topic here havn't i?

i'm able to do pythag and trig and am upto speed on BODMAS, im not actually thinking of taking a HNC...my mate is actually doing one at the moment and i was having a look through some of his work...more an interest thing rather than a desire to do a HNC.

Bugger, I thought that was a place in Cornwall .....where Red Ruth used to live :confused: :LOL:

noseall,
your a sound good lad you :) :)
3,4,5 method.
I learnt this in juniors ..lol
....at 1st I thought this was gonna be a snotty high brow quiz that Bright_Spark was posting to spam us with his fanastic OUTSTANDING knowledge , .......but NO ,....well done ...good work fella ;)

Nige F

theres a beast there as well ??........................an No ......Not my mucker Richie P on a ramble :) :)

Sponsored Links
Works in 3D too !
Distance from origin to a point at x,y,z = SQRT(x²+y²+z²)

And the Cosines of the angles from the origin to the point relative to the positive axes are respectively
x / SQRT(x²+y²+z²)
y / SQRT(x²+y²+z²)
z / SQRT(x²+y²+z²)

No angle will be less than 0° nor greater than 180° (Cosines being -1 through 0 to +1)

Not much use to most, but invaluable when required to measure 'normal' to a surface in an engineering situation.
:eek:

He didn't go to the Ernest Pythagoras Primary School in Clerkenwell by any chance? Did he know Dinsdale?

Just realised I've forgotten a lot of the maths I learnt at school a couple of years back :cry: (shocking really, because I have only been out of school for 18 months or so)

Remember intergrating things that had logs in them, etc, I wouldn't have a clue now (though no doubt it would come back to me if I got hold of a text book)

I didn't work as hard as I should have done either

Sponsored Links
Back