Q for Ollski

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to be a pain, but in a previous post you mentioned plastic pipe (Hep2o in this case) needing to be barriered. Would it be possible to explain what this is?

Tks

Sponsored Links
Plastic pipe is porous to air. That doesn't matter with for example a cold feed, but on a CH system, it'll suck small amount of air into the system through the pipe walls. This causes corrosion and other problems.

Barrier pipe has an extra non-pourous layer in it, it's more expensive, but you need it for heating.

Thanks.

How can I find out if it is barriered without asking previous plumber?

It's probably written on the pipe, if you can expose a section of it long enough. Under a floorboard maybe.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Slippy I have also checked out www.Hepworth.co.uk which was quite useful.
If it is not barrier and has to be changed can I leave until the winter is over before doing so i.e. would the air over the next say four months cause immediate corrosive damage to the system.

Come to think of it if it is wrong it's been wrong for two years now so I'm probably stuffed.

I make sure you've got lots of inhibitor in, and hope for the best. Probably not a good time of year to start major renovation to your CH.

Probably a 'piece of string' or silly question, but how long would a system last if it was constantly 'breathing' in use?

Hep20 non barrier pipe is ok for CH as it says so on the side of it, just make sure there is adequate amount of inhibitor in and it will be fine, stop worring and enjoy christmas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back