Qty Weep Vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand weep vents are a requirement for replacement uPVC windows, I can understand Purge Ventilation must be provided according to floor sapce of room - but I cannot find any information to tell me how many and what size weep vents there should be per room, can any one help.

Sponsored Links
They are only required if the existing windows had them. And if there were none there before then whether you fit them or not is a divided opinion. The maths is actually pretty clear and is all in Part C of the Building Regs but often you just fit one per small window and two per big window! :D

The size (open area) of a particular vent will be down to its design.

We were always under the impression , if you have a woodburner, rayburn open fire etc , that room requires a trickle vent to stop the build up of carbon monoxide. It was introduced after a spate of Carbon Monoxide poisonings...beware some properties have wall ventilators so Trickle vents would not be needed

Sponsored Links
I read trickle vents are now just advised - not required:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/approveddocuments/partf/windows

But yes one for small, two for large would be prudent ... all that condensation must be vented ... unless you want hairy wall paper.

I note:
Ventilation
Approved Document F
General notes
• Adequate replacement air must also be
available, e.g. a 10mm gap under the door
or equivalent.

I also note comments made about minimising noise disturbance - if you live next to a motorway - double glazing is a saviour - but with weep (sorry I should say Trickle) vents noise can travel right through this hole in the window. Unlucky home owners in the 70's, blighted by motorways ploughed past their back gardens had double glazing installed - paid for by which ever government body was responsible for roads back then - silent vents were also installed (a large deep box on the wall with 100mm hole through the wall) to allow a movement of air into each room with this installed double glazing, but it also did the job of deadening the traffic sound from outside - I wonder how many of these expensive looking boxes have since been ripped out.

http://www.doubleglazingblogger.com/2015/05/why-people-hate-trickle-vents/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back