Weep Vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Wot exactly is the purpose of a weep vent, is it just to remove moisture from inside the cavity ???

How many of these would be needed for a 3m x 3m extension, and lastley is there any specific location on the build they have to go, i.e. just above DPC or above windows etc ???

Sponsored Links
use them in locations where moisture would need be deflected to the outside i.e., over windows, at any cavity tray locations, bridged dpc locations, etc.

these are all instances where the cavity has been deliberately blocked as part of the building process. lintels deliberately block the cavity. ;)

As i will be rendering at a later date Noseall the BCO said i could you concrete lintels, so they wont block the cavity, do you recon i will still need them ???

Well something's going to block the cavity or you'd be able to look up and see between your brick walls. I wouldn't want that something to be just the casment of my window so you want a lintel that bridges your cavity to protect your windows. Weep vents above are a belt and braces device in case your wall plate at roof level allows the ingress of water into the cavity. In normal circumstances the weep vents don't actually do anything.

Sponsored Links
As i will be rendering at a later date Noseall the BCO said i could you concrete lintels, so they wont block the cavity, do you recon i will still need them ???

yes, as you will need to use a cavity tray above this location anyhow.

Strictly speaking, weepholes aren't required if you are going to provide an external render. I suppose it depends when that later date is, as to whether or not your BCO will insist on you providing them or not.

this is true.
joe is again misinformed about water ingress. i cannot imagine what on earth he is on about when he refers to water ingress from the wall plate. :confused:

there is a roof to protect this isn't there??

cavity trays deal with moisture ingress from driven rain against the brickwork. it would be true to suggest (as Hotrod says) that a render can counter driven rain problems.

this is true.
joe is again misinformed about water ingress. i cannot imagine what on earth he is on about when he refers to water ingress from the wall plate. :confused:

there is a roof to protect this isn't there??

cavity trays deal with moisture ingress from driven rain against the brickwork. it would be true to suggest (as Hotrod says) that a render can counter driven rain problems.

Roofs leak ya know. :rolleyes: Gutters cascade out the back ya know. :rolleyes: Houses were once built single skin - but they didn't have water running down the inside wall when it rained ya know :rolleyes: So stop talking piffle.

if a gutter cascades out the back, then doesnt it go down the fascia board, which protrudes out from the face of the wall?........

joe now you are talking complete rubbish.

a CAVITY tray is designed to deflect water back to the outside. water that has penetrated through the brickwork.

they are not designed with the proviso of an occasional roof leak.

please explain how water finds its way up to the wall plate from the gutter as i'm confused and rather amused about your last post?

http://www.lpg-portable-heaters.co.uk/conservatory/cavity_tray.htm

mutley.gif

if a gutter cascades out the back, then doesnt it go down the fascia board, which protrudes out from the face of the wall?........

precisely big T.

what kind of a cavity built house are you thinking of joe.

please amuse us some more....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back