Weep Vents

I'm confused that you think water runs down the inside walls of houses and garages that are built with single skin. I lived in one for four years (not a garage) and I assure you that it never leaked in the rain. :rolleyes:

As far as the gutter thing goes when you have constant wet from a gutter overflow on the same section of brick it can permeate the brick. Brick will only handle normal weather conditions - they aren't all waterproof.

Sponsored Links
Yes I understand its requirement perfectly, but there clearly was no point in merely repeating verbatim what Nose had said, was there?

Anyhow, repetition would probably fall foul of the new pogrom that seems to be in operation on the forum.

I'm confused that you think water runs down the inside walls of houses and garages that are built with single skin. I lived in one for four years (not a garage) and I assure you that it never leaked in the rain. :rolleyes:

As far as the gutter thing goes when you have constant wet from a gutter overflow on the same section of brick it can permeate the brick. Brick will only handle normal weather conditions - they aren't all waterproof.

WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU GOUING ON ABOUT!!!

cavity trays are designed with one thing in mind.
cavity masonry that has been soaked by driving rain will form water droplets or beads on the inside. this is what cavity trays deal with.

FULL STOP.

it is for the same reasons that some inland building control bodies do not enforce their instalment quite so rigorously. most coastal building control bodies insist upon it.

Sponsored Links

WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOPU GOUING ON ABOUT!!!

cavity trays are designed with one thing in mind.
cavity masonry that has been soaked by driving rain will form water droplets or beads on the inside. this is what cavity trays deal with.

FULL STOP.

it is for the same reasons that building control do not enforce their instalment quite so rigorously. most coastal building control bodies insist upon it.

Have you ever seen a single skin house leaking? Well have you? Or a garage? Or a factory unit? I never have. But I've seen a leaky roof leak into a cavity haven't you? Guess you are only a pretend builder.

Yes I understand its requirement perfectly, but there clearly was no point in merely repeating verbatim what Nose had said, was there?

Anyhow, repetition would probably fall foul of the new pogrom that seems to be in operation on the forum.

In other words you don't know. Why do terrace houses without a cavity not leak? Or single skinned cottages?

Don't shout, Nose, there are rules about that, you know :rolleyes:....

Oh, does this one count as a sarcastic post and therefore lined up for the bin? Quick, mention something related to the thread again.

Ok, Joe, you are so wide of the mark, you could be an American smart bomb.

Don't shout, Nose, there are rules about that, you know :rolleyes:....

Oh, does this one count as a sarcastic post and therefore lined up for the bin? Quick, mention something related to the thread again.

Ok, Joe, you are so wide of the mark, you could be an American smart bomb.

Answer my questions then.

I did: I said that Nose was spot-on with his explanation as to the BRegs requirement for a cavity tray.

I did: I said that Nose was spot-on with his explanation as to the BRegs requirement for a cavity tray.

Answer my questions re single skin houses. It may be a requirement - but that doesn't prove what it is supposed to do.

i have seen water ingress from penetrating rain driven damp.

once.

i have referred to it on this forum on more than one occasion.

we don't get the conditions that incur the problems of saturated brickwork often. this is the reason why i tell people not to panic about cavity tray installation.

location and adverse weather conditions are the arbiters.

In other words you don't know. Why do terrace houses without a cavity not leak? Or single skinned cottages?
Sorry, missed this one, you pinged it in while I was replying to the other one.

They do leak: it's called penetrating damp when it's driven rain getting through to the inner face. Are you saying that leaks at plate level are a peculiar preserve of cavity work???

i have seen water ingress from penetrating rain driven damp.

once.

i have referred to it on this forum on more than one occasion.

we don't get the conditions that incur the problems of saturated brickwork often. this is the reason why i tell people not to panic about cavity tray installation.

location and adverse weather conditions are the arbiters.

Once in how many years? Do you really think they would change the building regs cuz one house had bad pointing?

in case your wall plate at roof level allows the ingress of water into the cavity. In normal circumstances the weep vents don't actually do anything.

can you please explain what you meant here please joe? :confused:

Sorry, missed this one, you pinged it in while I was replying to the other one.

They do leak: it's called penetrating damp when it's driven rain getting through to the inner face. Are you saying that leaks at plate level are a peculiar preserve of cavity work???

Are you saying that you have seen rainwater running down the inside of a house? Was it the pointing? Or was physics going the long way around just for the heck of it? Weep vents are more like air vents than anything else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back