Weep Vents

I did: I said that Nose was spot-on with his explanation as to the BRegs requirement for a cavity tray.

Answer my questions re single skin houses. It may be a requirement - but that doesn't prove what it is supposed to do.
As with a lot of things BRegs-wise, it's a sledgehammer to crack a nut and largely superfluous in many instances - exposed areas subject to driven rain would be an exception. But, regardless of its efficacy or even its necessity, the reason for its inclusion is as per Nose's comments.

Sponsored Links
the simple fact is joe, despite b'regs, is you were way off the mark on this one laddie.

in case your wall plate at roof level allows the ingress of water into the cavity. In normal circumstances the weep vents don't actually do anything.

can you please explain what you meant here please joe? :confused:

Yes certainly. I meant:

"In case your wall plate at roof level allows the ingress of water into the cavity. In normal circumstances the weep vents don't actually do anything."

the simple fact is joe, despite b'regs, is you were way off the mark on this one laddie.

No way - it's you that thinks he know - but is wrong. Houses with fresh pointing don't leak. You've admitted that yourself.

Sponsored Links
how does a wall plate admit water?

I'm referring to the wooden structure that runs around the top of the wall above the cavity that the roof joists and rafters sit on.

Yep, to stop all that nasty air going stale in the cavity and making the house smell :LOL:

Have you ever seen any sarking boarding being witty or jocular? Roofing felt made out of green soft and fuzzy stuff? BAT straps flying around in the evening and leaving half-eaten butterflies on the bedroom floor?

[quote="joe-90" Weep vents are more like air vents than anything else.
:eek: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Have you ever seen any weeping? :rolleyes:[/quote]

weep vents are designed to work during heavy and prolonged periods of wind driven rain. it would be hard to discriminate between ejected water and rain droplets.

regardless of all your windy bluff joe, the purpose of weep vents is clear.

and you are wrong laddie.

[quote="joe-90" Weep vents are more like air vents than anything else.
:eek: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Have you ever seen any weeping? :rolleyes:[/quote
Have you never been on site during heavy rain while construction is in progress !! can assure you it aint air that comes out of them. Surely the name gives it away "weep holes" or should they be called " cavity vents" maybe we should rename air bricks and call them weep bricks.

i suppose thats why dpc is put at the bottom of the wall as well to stop the rain from leaking roofs getting into the foundations :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back