Qualcast Cylinder Mower not cutting properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2016-05-05 15.36.11.jpg
Hi

I hope someone can help? My lovely qualcast cylinder mower has started adding an extra stripe. Difficult to explain but it is as if it is cutting lower on one side but there is nothing obvious on the cylinder or main roller or front rollers. They all look well aligned. See pics to explain.

Tony
2016-05-05 15.36.27.jpg

Sponsored Links
Chuck it and get a Hayter rotary with a rear roller;)

:D good one - have used both - a Ransomes in the 60's and a Hayter now I'm in my 60's . Both cost c.£40;)

Sponsored Links
Quite an elderly machine that - I'm surprised the plastic tank hasn't split.....many have!
Do clean the air intake though, it's bound to overheat.
Anyway.....check the location of the bottom blade, and check the blade is completely straight. Adjust the cutting cylinder with the two screws from above so that it's just kissing the blade at both sides. This will also show if the helix cylinder has any distorted blades.
The bottom blade is cheap and simple to replace, the cylinder has to be sent away for grinding.
John :)

A couple of things to check. I assume that the height adjuster is on one side only? if not make sure that they are the same height (just pointing out the obvious). look at the bottom blade. how is it held in? does it look level to the bottom of the mower? are the rollers moving up and down together? can't really tell from that photo but the front foller arm on the RHS looks at an odd angle compared to the one on the LHS. I love old movers but can be a devil to set up.

Just the one front roller height adjuster on these - it works pretty well because the sides of the machines are cast rather than the more 'modern' plastic :(
Lets hope we get a post back - although there are plenty that don't.
John :)

I think it might be that the knife and cylinder are not meeting correctly, as can happen if it hits a stone or bit of wire and causes a dent or bend. This will leave the grass bruised but not cut in that section.

Use a piece of stiff paper, turn the mower over, see if the cylinder will shear through it all the way along the knife.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back