Quality of plumbing? Bellway homes, New build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_1976.JPG IMG_1976.JPG IMG_1978.JPG Hi Guys,

I've recently moved in to a new build and had to get a tiler in, which meant I had to remove the pedestal from the sink downstairs, from my untrained eye the plumbing looks really bad, we ideally wanted to put in a countertop sink with a floating shelf, after removing the pedestal we noticed the pipe goes down from the sink straight in to the floor.

I wanted to find out if this is normal or should I ask them to come back and plumb it in to the wall?

To make matters worse the pipes connecting both taps are coming out of the wall at an angle, and the toilet water feed is also the same.

Every other sink in the house is normal apart from this one.

I'm unsure if this would count as a snag or not?

Would appreciate people's opinions, I can upload some more pictures of needed.

Sponsored Links
The waste for the basin has been installed exactly as it should be for a pedestal basin

The waste for the basin has been installed exactly as it should be for a pedestal basin

Thanks for the quick response, Is there a reason as to why it's not plumbed in to the wall?

We visited every showroom within a 40 mile radius and we never seen one which is plumbed the way ours is.

its quite common for this set up in a downstairs WC. Waste is installed before walls/screed so plumber has no say in the position. once he/she enters the plot. if the wall is block it may not be possible to get the waste into the wall with floor beams positions etc.....

trouble is with new builds it they want everything hidden which looks ok but when it comes to changing things makes it hard work. couple that with low paid and low skilled work forces and you cant be supprised with poorly installed pipework sadly.

Sponsored Links
If it is substantially different to the way it was sold to you (based on the plans they might have showed you or what might be in a show home of the same specification), you can certainly raise it with them.

It seems unlikely they're going to do anything about it at this stage though. Might have to abandom the floating shelf plan, though.

I was wondering why there was no pedestal. Then reread the post. Why do you think there is a problem?. This is normal.

EDIT: Reread yet again, and see why you would rather have it differently. But you are just going to waste energy trying to argue. IMO. Changing it would be a big, and messy, job.

Re the wonky cold feeds. These can be a problem. If I understand you correctly, there will be a greater force on one sie of the washer, causing a pich, and can cause a leak.
My daughter ha a slow unnotced drip on her 2 1/2 year old house. Fortuntely theinsurance paid out,but had to have all the downstairs floorcovering replaced, as well as various woodworks and repainting. At least one neighbour had the same issue.

On the other hand, with a pedestal basin installed, the waste pipework is completely hidden which is what most clients want. If the pipework ran into the wall then it would be visible which would look poor.

The chance of claiming this as a snag is, in my opinion, zero to b*gger all - it's not a snag. Likewise unless you were offered choices of sanitary ware and they didn't install what you specified then you have no claim against them.

Thanks for all of the responses, really appreciated.

She still wants to have a floating shelf but I'm thinking of changing the pipework to chrome. I'm struggling to find a chrome waste pipe that would go from basin in to the floor.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

Definitely not a snag IMO, just the way it was done in that instance, nothing wrong it.

Just because it's been done that way by the builders though doesn't mean that it can't be changed. You really need to get an experienced plumber in to investigate when your are planning to do the works and see if the pipe can be moved into the wall/floor. Are the walls hollow? Do you have a way to make good the floor tiles?

You might find that getting a chrome straight through trap like yours is pretty difficult. Can't say I've ever seen one. Just trying to understand what trap you plan to use and how you plan to fit it all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back