Quality Of Professional Bathroom Tiling

Away weekend so only just spotted this one; can’t really add anything to what’s already been said & agree, it's as rough a badgers asre. Good luck with it but not sure how he’ll sort that lot out without starting again; but would you really want him to! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Exactly my predicament Richard C.

I would have thought (perhaps naively) that any tradesman would carry out all of his work to the best of his abilities, rather than get up in the morning, jump in the van, and then decide what level of competence he's going to use today.

If that is the case then I must surely be looking at the best this tiler can do, and therefore can't allow or trust him to rectify the work.

Either that or he does possess varying skill levels but decided my job didn't warrant the best of them. That means I've been massively short-changed.

I'd sit down and cry about it, but my tears would leak through the holes in the grout...

Exactly my predicament Richard C.

I would have thought (perhaps naively) that any tradesman would carry out all of his work to the best of his abilities, rather than get up in the morning, jump in the van, and then decide what level of competence he's going to use today.

If that is the case then I must surely be looking at the best this tiler can do, and therefore can't allow or trust him to rectify the work.

Either that or he does possess varying skill levels but decided my job didn't warrant the best of them. That means I've been massively short-changed.

I'd sit down and cry about it, but my tears would leak through the holes in the grout...

no need for the tears mate... ;)

Few more photos added. It's not looking any better after 48 hours.

Sponsored Links
bloody hell, it looks even worse than it did before with the original pics. if it was me, i'd have the whole thing stripped then i'd have him in court for the cost of your tiles + cost of someone to rip it all out and re-prep for a proper tiler.

i honestly couldn't give a flat away with a bathroom which looked like that.

Just had the tiler round for a discussion.

He has offered to rectify the work that he feels needs to be done at his cost. I still need to agree with him exactly what the extent of this will be on the basis of a snagging list I'm going to prepare.

The main outline of what he is prepared to do is as follows:

Replace any tile where the lippage is more than 1mm. Some lippage is over 3mm.

Improve the look of other areas of lippage by applying fresh grout over the existing.

Replace any tiles where the intended 4mm grout lines are say under 2mm and over 6mm. Ditto any holes in the grout.

Hide the internal corners on the walls with a thicker (say 10mm) bead of sealant. Ditto any floor tiles that have been installed close or tight to the skirting. Ditto the join between the wall and floor tiles.

He estimates it will take two days and will seek full payment on completion.

He feels that in addition to the major issues I've raised, I have tried to add weight to my case by highlighting minor issues that would otherwise have been accepted.

He also suspects that anyone who recommends a rip out is just looking for work.

I've assured him that if the tiles come off the only person who will be putting them up again is me, safe in the knowledge my first ever project will be better that what he has initially presented me with.

However, as things stand, he has acknowledged some of the work needs to be rectified and that he can improve the look of the tiling.

As you'll all know, Trading Standards dictates that is the route I must follow. I'm understandably fearful of doing so, but I also have to trust his belief that he can do a better job.

Fingers crossed.

(Wow that's a lot of text ! Sorry if anyones eyes are stinging after reading that lot !)

He did 30 hours over Monday to Thursday.

And now he's going to spend another 16 hrs,, (2 days) :eek: making good/repairing,,,, (hopefully),,, the rough job he did,,, what an advert for him,,,,,,,,, not!!

CFRB
i know its hard to swallow,but by law you do have to give this..person..the chance to redo..but again it has to be to a standard off which you are happy with...

if you want a hand with the snagging you have my mobile no.

tho i may need to bring a few pens with me... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back