Tile spacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all

I'll be tiling my bathroom soon.

I have ordered 500×250 tiles. On one wall I want the tiles to be vertical and the joining wall horizontal. However using tile spacers will make the 2 horizontal tiles overlap the vertical one throwing out the grout lines. Is there a way around this other than using extra thick grout lines on the vertical tiles, which I don't think will look nice.

Also. I have brought the mapei standard set adhesive to give me plenty of work time. Can I use this on the areas of the wall where the shower is? Or do I need the waterproof adhesive?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Assuming 2mm grout lines- you will be gaining 2mm for each of the two horizontal tiles. It the tiles are porcelain, you may be able to run them through a wet diamond cutter to rip them down and the dress the edges.

That is a lot of work though. The easiest option is to do the horizonal tiles first and then increase the grout line on the vertical tiles.

Assuming 2mm grout lines- you will be gaining 2mm for each of the two horizontal tiles. It the tiles are porcelain, you may be able to run them through a wet diamond cutter to rip them down and the dress the edges.

That is a lot of work though. The easiest option is to do the horizonal tiles first and then increase the grout line on the vertical tiles.
Thank you for replying. Yes I don't particularly want to cut down each tile. I've never tiled before and so unnecessary cuts will just add to the risk of a poor looking job.
If I use thicker grout lines will that not look odd being different or will it the odd mm difference not really show?
The tile has a slight raised pattern that really looks nice how the light catches if verticle!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back