Quality of this forum

STI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this forum rarely gets the praise it deserves. I needed to find out the rating of a creda night storage heater so did a search on the web. This led me to this site and this response. It gets better as you read down :eek: . To cap it all, to get an answer you have to pay.

Not sure if they ever got back the following day :(

So my sincere thanks to everyone who does offer their advice on this forum. And its quality and safety concerns.

By the way does anyone know the wattage of a creda 79045b storage heater.
Thanks

Question
I have a Creda Night Storage heater Model 79045B which has stopped working. What do you advise please?
Submitted: 203 days and 2 hours ago.
Category: UK Appliance Value: £7 Status: CLOSED Posted by Royzee 203 days and 1 hours ago. Info Request
Hi
Do you have a multi meter?

Thanks
Rob
203 days and 1 hours ago. Reply
Yes. I have some kind of meter with two leads but have no idea how to use it!

Posted by Royzee 203 days and 1 hours ago. Info Request
HI
OK
The first thing we need to be sure of is the simplest thing and that is that the unit is getting power at night.
Does the fused spur that the heater is attached to, have a neon lamp?
If so, you need to make sure that at night, when the cheap electricity is on, this should light up

Thanks
Rob
203 days ago. Reply
No. There is no neon lamp . The heater was hard wired in.. As it is now 9.25 am I don't think I can check that power is arriving at the unit . Can I check it tonight and , if so, how do I do this? and can I get back to you tonight without having to pay another fee? Thanks.
Posted by Royzee 203 days ago. Info Request
HI
OK, You can only check this when the cheap rate electric is on. Its a shame it dosent have a neon as you will now have to test for a voltage at the spur with your meter.
This means setting your meter to volts and checking for 240volts on the wires going into the heater.
You need to be confident to do this as you will be working on a "live" circuit.

You can answer back on this post tommorow

Thanks
Rob
t
203 days ago. Reply
Thanks Rob.

I'm not sure how to test with the meter but I won't do anything silly. I will get back to you.

Posted by Royzee 203 days ago. Info Request
OK
Good luck

Rob

Sponsored Links
Accoridng to this it's probably 1700W and note that this says it's got asbestos containing material in it.

Hint - dropping the b from the part number helped the google-mojo.

• Thanks
Reactions: STI
Thanks. I also got the Asbestos info in my search. Cant quite fathom the risk condition 0 mark and risk product 4 I hope it means all ok unless the casing is damaged

I think the quality of this forum has plummeted due to the constant bickering between members hell bent on playing 'who said what' semantics :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Yes i agree its a shame every so often it rears its head but pick out the info in between and its usually good . Even with the bickering i dont think anyone here would let someone who openly states they dont know what to do with the two leads on the meter go away and try measuring the live voltage at night when tired and possibly in poor light go ahead with a simple wish of good luck. Oh and a £7 bill.

I think the quality of this forum has plummeted due to the constant bickering between members hell bent on playing 'who said what' semantics :rolleyes:
Take a look at who it always is who starts it would be my advice....

I think to try to explain to anyone who does not really know what they are doing how to do any task safely is a real problem. I can remember at school having to write a detailed instructions on how to make a cup of tea.

If programming a computer (PLC) then at least you know it will only do as it is told. However it does not matter how many times one says turn off the power first some one will forget.

The neon switched fuse connection unit (FCU) is a real help with problems of this sort as it can be fitted all dead and you can see if there is power without having to expose ones self to live circuits.

However it is likely that the element in the storage heater is blown and one is loathed to suggest fitting a neon FCU when likely it will require a new storage heater.

When new the storage heater is easy to install but once used the dust produced when anything is disturbed is high. With Asbestos then one is worried about any dust in case it is Asbestos. However moving without dismantling due to weight is also a problem and making damp is about only way to stop dust.

Water is also a problem as once wet then all tests are likely to show down to earth so in real terms only external tests can be carried out.

So you can disconnect and put a meter on cable ends and one should read about 30 ohms line to neutral and better than 250000 ohms line to earth. If you get these figures likely it has lost supply.

But in same way as one would not want to instruct some one how to do surgery with a book alone neither does anyone want to try to instruct any un-trained person to go too deep into any electrical appliance.

Although people will not stick their fingers in a fire when you tell them to they will it seems stick their fingers onto live wires. So unless one knows the appliance well one tends to not answer posts in case one misses out some vital safety feature.

I remember 4 British Ex-pats in Algeria telling a Dutch man not to dismantle a spring brake to no avail and parts embedding themselves into the shed. He was very lucky. But if 4 people talking direct to some one can't stop them doing something dangerous then on a forum we have no chance.

And fools do rush in where angles fear to tread.

In the main the forum works well. And people are careful not to give wrong advice as they will be ridiculed which really is not a bad thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back