Quality tool advice needed please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a fairly experienced DIY'er and I want to replace my aged/rusted/bits missing drill bit and screw bit set with something decent. I can see that Makita seem to be "a cut above" in terms of price but I have no experience of them myself.

So, if I wanted to buy something of reasonable quality (not the most expensive please; I have a wife and 3 children!), could someone give me some good advice as to what to buy please?

Sponsored Links
Wera for screw bits, just cheap HSS jobber bits but lots of them buy the sizes you need not a set.

Buy an impact driver the hammer drill set - If you've never had an impact driver you'll kick yourself when you realise all the times you strained getting screws in and out. The Makita DLX2012MWX twin set is a good combo and the 4Ah li-ion packs last most of a full days work. I tend to buy bits in bulk as the impact drivers to smash through them. Tool station and screw fix have normally got deals on.

Thanks motorbiking , that's some really helpful advice. I've found a good Erbauer set on Screwfix that covers what you're saying, minus the impact driver. I didn't realise what one of these was but a quick Google and I understand. I have a cheap Challenge hammer drill that's lasted me over 15 years so not so worried about the power tools; more good drill bits and accessories etc that last and don't break/blunt/rust.

Sponsored Links
An impact driver just eats through bits unecessarily. I know impacts are all the rage, but they are not needed for general DIY.

For bits just use any that you get for the best price from reputable suppliers. They all have equal life.

I got a massive set of bits and drill bits from Argos several years ago in a sale. They are most probable cheap chinese, but the thing is I've hardly gone through them - and I bet I do more work than anyone would doing even a lot of DIY.

Thanks ^woody^. I've done similar and my current set was £20 from QVC, nearly 20 years ago! But some parts of it are a bit rubbish and I notice the difference. I think paying a bit extra would just make jobs that little bit easier and nicer to do. I will have another look at Argos though; thank you, I often shop there but hadn't thought of them for this.

Impact drivers only start hitting when the going gets tough. I built a garden room last year and didn't have a single damaged screw head. I reckon my impact driver saved me days of work. I'm currently installing a kitchen and again wouldn't be without it.

I have started paying extra for TCT masonry bits, but for jobber bits I have been using cheap Chinese for years. I divide them into the knackered ones which I use for rough wood, and the newest ones which I use for metal and neater wood. Costs a fraction of an expensive set.

I have an 18v impact driver and I only get it out the van
when I am using 6" or bigger screws, just not needed for most jobs
especially diy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back