Query About Flex for Hair Dryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to replace the flex on my hair dryer and I'm trying to work out the current rating. Can someone explain to me how the existing flex, which is 1.8m twin core oval pvc 0.75mm2, is OK for a hair dryer of 2200W? Doesn't that work out at 9A (2200 / 240)? I've found similar flex on the internet but it's rated at 6A. I'm confused. Is 0.75mm2 OK?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
0.75 sq. mm is too small for 2200W (which, as you say, is approx. 9 amps at 240V). You need to go up to 1 sq. mm for that current.

Either the original cord was undersized, or 2200W is one of those fantasy ratings.

Seemingly undersized flex is often used for appliances.
Indeed. I suppose they may work with CCCs they have invented, based on the short duration of usage of the appliances concerned - but I'm not sure with what, if anything, that would be 'compliant'!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If it's more made in China junk, you can't even be sure that a 0.75 sq. mm marking on the flex is correct; the actual conductors have been known to be considerably less in some cases.

Indeed. I suppose they may work with CCCs they have invented, based on the short duration of usage of the appliances concerned - but I'm not sure with what, if anything, that would be 'compliant'!

Yea, a bit like the 2Kw fan heater in my shed with 0.75mm² flex. Reminds me of this thread.

If it's more made in China junk, you can't even be sure that a 0.75 sq. mm marking on the flex is correct; the actual conductors have been known to be considerably less in some cases.

Yea, like this fake 0.75mm² cable:

Last edited:
The other failing with cheap flexible cable is the lack of lubrication between cores and outer sheath. To be flexible in use the cores have to be able to move freely inside the outer sheath to reduce stress in the insulation when the cable twisted and turned around by the user. French chalk is one of the best lubricants for this.

... the conclusion of which appears to have been that IEC 60335-1 allows use of 0.75mm² cable for portable appliances drawing up to 10A (which would include a 2kW fan heater), provided that the length of the cable does not exceed 2m.
For what it's worth for comparison, the nearest equivalent size here is 18 AWG, which is 0.823 sq. mm. The NEC rating for thermoplastic insulation is 7A, but with an allowance for up to 10A where used on an appliance and with only two current-carrying conductors. Personally I'd rather go up to 16 AWG for that sort of current, but then I'm not a manufacturer for whom a penny or two saved on each unit adds up to thousands of dollars in the long run.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I wouldn't have known there was a 2m restriction for that size cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back