Overheated plug and socket used for tumble dryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have read other posts on similar subjects so I think I know the answer but thought i would post for comments.
Yesterday the tumble dryer stopped working and would not restart. I moved the unit and found both the plug and socket had suffered heat damage (phots attached).
The dryer is a replacement due to the national product safety recall and we have only had it for six month so my first thoughts were to call the maufacturer (Whirlpool).
They said that if the plug was found to be at fault and not the appliance) then it would not be covered under the warranty and I would be charged £180 for the call out + materials and proceeded to try and sell me a £48 annual cover policy that would include the engineer's visit.
It is a moulded plug and I'm concerned that if I replace it the 12 month warranty will be invalid. Is this the case?
However, my preference if it's simply a fault with the plug id to replace both the plug and socket myself. Is it unlikey that a fault with the appliance would cause this?
incidentally, the other side of the double socket was working ok (but is now out of bounds until replaced).
Advice appreciated - Thanks

Attachments

• Plug.jpg
    Plug.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 3,633
  • socket.jpg
    socket.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 2,838
Sponsored Links
I would not touch it or use it unattended. If you replace the plug then your be liable for any other problems & warranty will be void. Surly the plug came with the appliance therefore it should be covered by the same warranty? I very much doubt your socket is at fault & considering the current news storyd about these appliances I would say its the drier at fault causing an overload, although I'm supprised no fuses have blown. Good luck.

I see that you have a double socket there, what is in the other half of the socket, a washing machine or dishwasher, perhaps?

It is not a well-known fact but a double socket is not tested to be able to deliver 2 x 13amps. So having two high-current devices running at the same time can cause overheating of the socket. Perhaps that has happened here.

You need to chop off teh plug on the tumble dryer and fit a new plug.
The socket is damaged beyond repair and also needs to be replaced, with a decent make, not a £2 one from B&Q.

Even better, replace the double socket with two separate single sockets.

Sponsored Links
They said that if the plug was found to be at fault and not the appliance) then it would not be covered under the warranty and I would be charged £180 for the call out + materials and proceeded to try and sell me a £48 annual cover policy that would include the engineer's visit.
It is a moulded plug and I'm concerned that if I replace it the 12 month warranty will be invalid. Is this the case?

They are lying, or at least trying it on. The moulded plug is part of the appliance so of course it is covered by the warranty. BUT, if the plug has been damaged by a faulty socket it would not be covered.

Changing a moulded plug does NOT affect the warranty.

If you replace the plug then your be liable for any other problems & warranty will be void. ...
Whilst the manufacture might try such 'scare' tactics, I'm pretty sure that no court would support that view.
....I very much doubt your socket is at fault & considering the current news storyd about these appliances I would say its the drier at fault causing an overload ....
As has been said, it's all but certain that the plug and/or socket (or their use - e.g. by 'overloading a double socket with 2 x 13A loads) is the problem. The drier creating an overload would be extremely unlikely.

Kind Regards, John

Hi all, I changed the plug and the dryer is working fine
I fitted a surface mount box over the metal box of the double socket, extended the ring main with chocblocks within the box to 2 single sockets and fitted a double blanking plate. All is good. Thanks for all the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back