Tumble dryer using same socket as boiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at putting my condensing tumble dryer in the airing cupboard with the gas combi boiler. The plug socket the boiler uses is on a different circuit to the main sockets and is connected to a 16A MCB where as the sockets are connected to a 32A MCB. Will it be ok for me to use the boiler socket to connect the tumble dryer to?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could! but you would have to fit a fcu rated at 3A to connect the boiler to.

You could! but you would have to fit a fcu rated at 3A to connect the boiler to.

An FCU? As i don't know much about electrics can you please give a reason for that? BTW the tumble dryer uses a max of 4.2KW.

Look at your own boiler, It should be hard wired i;e; not on a plug. The connection unit should have a 3A fuse in, this is in line with current (sic) guidelines.

Sponsored Links
Look at your own boiler, It should be hard wired i;e; not on a plug. The connection unit should have a 3A fuse in, this is in line with current (sic) guidelines.

When were those guidelines introduced? No Gas Safe engineer that has serviced the boiler has ever said anything. Is that be something i need to get sorted?

Anyway, does that mean that what you're saying is that if i want to run the tumble dryer i should get an electrician to put a new socket in there?

Disregard that suggestion to use an FCU for your combi-boiler - as you clearly have a (3A-fused?) plug/socket arrangement for it - and this is quite acceptable for most combi's.

Your tumble dryer is likely to consume around 18 Amps for part of its cycle. The existing 16A MCB will tolerate this, but it would be better to seek advice from your local electrician with a view to changing the 16A MCB to a 20A MCB, provided that the circuit cable size/method of installation will allow this.

Lucia.

If there is a double socket there, just plug the tumble dryer in, and use the other socket for the boiler.

If it is a single socket, change it to a double.

Your tumble dryer is likely to consume around 18 Amps for part of its cycle.
If this tumble dryer plugs in, there is no way it will use 18A.

Thanks all for the replies. Is there any specific reason why you said change it to a double socket? Won't a double adapter be fine to use?

A boiler/heating system can use a plug, but the socket must be unswitched.

Well our boiler is in a double socket, switched (Only because i've never got round to puttting an FCU in :rolleyes:

Cannot find anywhere where it says it must be unswitched!!!!!

Mine is on a double switched socket too...with a 13A fuse...which I replaced with a 3A when I saw :eek:

Boilers need double pole isolation, turning the switch off on some sockets only switches the live.

switching a socket off is not isolation... that's functional switching..

pull the plug out, it's isolated.. double pole and everything.. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back