Tumble Dryer Pins getting red hot

Sponsored Links
It was getting very hot so may have internal damage, why not for the sake of a few quid

Sponsored Links
My comment was because "red hot" seemed to be somewhat more than a bit of hyperbole.
If they were "red hot" they would have been glowing (incandescent) and touching them would have given you a painful burn.

This is a red hot connection

DB453898-71A3-44F2-A8FA-F0F1CC720221.jpeg

Have you tried swapping the good socket with the 'bad' socket and seeing if the heat problems goes with it?
If it does then it would confirm the socket is at fault, especially if it stays cool in the original 'good' socket which is now in the 'bad' socket position.

Have you tried swapping the good socket with the 'bad' socket and seeing if the heat problems goes with it?
If it does then it would confirm the socket is at fault, especially if it stays cool in the original 'good' socket which is now in the 'bad' socket position.
No I've not tried that we've only noticed it when the dryers on. I'm sure I've charged my drills etc Bluetooth Speaker in there fine not that they would draw as much as the dryer.

I come across this situation fairly regularly with tumble dryers - it shows up the weakness of the 13 amp plug and socket system to deal with sustained loads near the design limit, i.e. 2.5 - 3kw, particularly with aged or low quality plugs and sockets. The moulded plug fitted to the dryers seem prone to it too.

Here's one example that happened with a friend's Bosch dryer, and this is how the OP's plug and socket might end up if they were to leave it be:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fy0iq0yll2k4fz/fullsizeoutput_1.jpeg?dl=0

I keep a number of MK toughplugs in reserve for this situation. They are expensive, but worth it in my opinion, as the silver live terminal and fuse holder seem to keep resistance heating to the absolute minimum:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1v8yk4slkvyeqfz/fullsizeoutput_2.jpeg?dl=0
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mains-plugs-sockets/0459727/

I also replaced the socket with a new Crabtree, I think they're one of the best compromises between price and quality currently on the market:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/crabtree-capital-13a-2-gang-dp-switched-plug-socket-white/38040

Absolutely no problems in the nearly two years since this happened.

it's a reasonably modern MK double socket but it might have been damaged by having an incorrect plug jammed into it. Some of ours were damaged by european plugs The other option is that the plug isn't quite in specification.
Personally I'd just replace the socket and see how it goes, but if you're happy to replace the plug as well then go for it. There's also a chance that the fuse is getting hot and heating the L pin (only), so it might be worth changing that too if you suspect it.

Right I've changed the plug socket and it's been fine, apart from today Mrs put the dryer on and because we were due to go out she pressed the high heat button went to check on the dryer 10 mins later and the live & neutral pins were hot to touch, tried the other socket and it was the same,so I turned the high heat button off and left it another 10-15 mins went back and the pins had cooled down....

:eek:o_O:mad::?:

Right I've changed the plug socket and it's been fine, apart from today Mrs put the dryer on and because we were due to go out she pressed the high heat button went to check on the dryer 10 mins later and the live & neutral pins were hot to touch, tried the other socket and it was the same,so I turned the high heat button off and left it another 10-15 mins went back and the pins had cooled down....
Did you change the plug as well as the socket?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back