Tumble dryer using same socket as boiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all for the replies. Is there any specific reason why you said change it to a double socket? Won't a double adapter be fine to use?

A double adapter is not designed to handle long periods of high current, it will most likely melt over time or even worse catch fire if you run a tumble dryer through it regularly.

Sponsored Links
if by double adapter you mean those horrible plug in cubes then no, you can't use those..
in fact no one should ever use those..
they're dangerous by design and should be made illegal..
put a plug in the end and it starts to lever the adapter out of the socket..
:evil:

Reminds me of a job i went to today, Grittish Bas had refused her cover on her boiler because it was supplied from a 20A DP isolator fed by a 16A fuse (wylex standard board) they quoted her £159+VAT to stap the 20A DP isoalator for appropriate FCU. Fitted an switched FCU w/3A fuse tested he circuit's IR and EFLI, £30.

In reply to 'Flameport':-

The O/P said that the dryer is 4.2kW. I'm not that bright with sums, dear, but I still make it at around 18 amps. That's why I suggested that a 20A MCB should be fitted - if possible.

If you think that a 4kW+ appliance can be connected to a 13A socket, please explain your reasoning. Otherwise, do me the favour of reading threads carefully before passing judgement.........

Lucia.

Sponsored Links
POD.. you might also benefit from reading the posts more carefully..

flameport did not dispute that your calculation of 18A from the ( more than likely ) misquoted 4.2KW was correct.

He did however say that a tumble dryer that PLUGS IN ( presumably refering to a 13A plug as the OP talks about ) then there is no way it can draw 18A.. which is entirely true because it will blow the fuse in the plug..

Try again jacko, because Flamethrower didn't say that the dryer "PLUGS IN". He said: " If the tumble dryer plugs in (IF) there is no way it will use 18A. Flameperson has no idea whether that appliance PLUGS IN or not.

But the O/P has said that the load is 4.2kW. So I still say that this is in excess of 13 Amps. I have no idea wheter the O/P has any sort of clue - but I know that his statement is just as reliable as your dodgy opinion and that of flameperson.......

Do you know of any appliance, having a 4.2kW load, that has a 13A plug on the flex?

Do tell me......

Lucia.

IF.

What a lovely, delicate and neglected little word this is.....

If.

Lucia.

Anyone else on DIYnot, who might advise that a 4.2kW appliance can be connected to a 13A plug?

I hope not....

Lucia.

Who's to say it is designed for connection to the supply via a plug other that that to BS1363?

This is the tumble dryer i have http://www.boschappliances.co.uk/bo...rs+FreeStanding+Exxcel-WTE84307GB-pid-225.htm On that page it states 4.2kW - i can only assume that is correct.
Actually it states 4.2kWh (killowatt hours) not 4.2kW (killowatts). The first is a measurement of the total energy used over a cycle, the second would be the power or the rate of using energy.

It doesn't actually give the power rating, so there is insufficient information to calculate the max current usage. If it comes supplied with a standard 13A plug, then it won't take more than 13A, as stated.

Would have thought someone of POD's superior knowledge and intellect would have detected the OP's obvious misquote of a 4.2kWh energy consumption per cycle :rolleyes: ;). Nobody has a 4.2kW domestic tumble dryer. The OP even clearly reveals it plugs in to a standard 13A socket by asking whether an adaptor block would be OK to allow it to share his boiler's existing socket.

If you're going to 'debate' with a tirade of patronising smugness and arrogance (that puts even BAS to shame) saturating your every post, you ought to at least make sure you've got your facts straight!

:D

Liam

Hey! I demand you retract that statement with immediate effect.

No one has more patronising smugness and arrogance than Ban!

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back