Tumble dryer using same socket as boiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
which is what I was saying up there..

flameport never disputed POD's calculation that 4.2KW = 18A.. just that IF the dryer plugged in ( as the OP sugested by their questions ) then it can't draw 18A from a 13A plug..

and then POD proceeded to have a go at me for pointing it out after she had a go at flameport...

Sponsored Links
Blimey JackCol, you're a little bit sensitive aren't you, dear?

I have no axe to grind with you, I can see by your posts that you're a kosher person, and I'm pleased that you've now corrected your recent post by inserting the 'IF' word.

So, I'd now like to have a go at Liam, if that's OK with you? Please feel free to jump to his defence - being the 'righter of wrongs' that you are.......................

Liam: Thank you for the compliment, dear. It's not often that I'm accused of having a superior intellect. So I welcome it - insincere though it might have been.......

Had the O/P expressed the load in kWh, I might have put two and two together. But he didn't - he said that the load was 4.2kW. I did find that odd at the time, but I took him at his word, because I've seen a few commercial dryers of that power - and more, in a domestic situation.

However, since I now know the make and model - where I didn't have that information before, I would estimate the load to be around 2.5kW - comprising a 2 (ish) kW heater plus the motor load.....

So, to the O/P: Plug it in to your 16A boiler circuit. If you have to use an adapter, then keep an eye on it from time to time. Adapters are useful to the DIYer, provided that the limitations of such use are understood.

I don't disagree with the general comments on adapters here, but such devices are still peddled on the market - therefore, they have their place -when used sensibly.

Finally, I'm not in the business of upsetting competent electricians - not deliberately anyway. So I regret that some might think otherwise......

Lucia.

personally I would not advise anyone to run a 2Kw+ appliance through an adapter block and think that it is foolish to give the OP the idea it is safe to do so.

OP in my opinion the right course of action is to change the single socket to a split box (2x single on 1 back plate) and have the dryer on one and the boiler on the other.

the Mcb in the consumer unit should be sized to cope with the expected load (20amp from what i can see of your original posts) and the current carrying capacity of the cable should be verified by a qualified electrician

also worth checking the Rcd capabilities of your existing set up, if there is one!

we now fitted a 30Ma Rcd instead of a fused spur (FCU) for all our boilers when there is not one already fitted in the consumer unit

Some older block adapters are unfused and they are dangerous.

Block adapters generally are not ideal from a weight POV. I have been in thousands of houses since I started my new job. I have lost count of the advice I have given people:

"If you must have an adapter, use the 4 or 6-way strip type. The reason for this is weight. The weight of a block adapter, plus all the plugs attached to it (especially so if they are wall-warts) pulls the adapter out of the socket. With the strip type, all the weight is on the floor and there is only one plug in the socket."

Sponsored Links
That's all very well, gentlemen. But the fact remains that those adapters are freely available on the market. We all know that they ought not to be used for heating appliances. Nevertheless, they exist - so we have to advise on their sensible use.

I have the feeling that the O/P is intent on using such an adapter - rather than the sensible use of a double socket. This is why I have advised that he should keep an eye on it - which doesn't mean that I approve of the beastly things.

Lucia.

Is the use of a double socket sensible?

I would fit two outlets, one for the boiler & one for the dryer.

Well thanks all for the replies. I find it quite worrying though that all of you electricians can't agree on something that seems quite simple. God knows how a consumer can come up with a decission if none of you can agree.

Anyway i had an electrician around today to quote on an outside light so asked about this too. He said it was fine and to just use an adapter. For now i'll do that and as the POD said i'll keep an eye on it.

Well thanks all for the replies. I find it quite worrying though that all of you electricians can't agree on something that seems quite simple.

That's because some of the posters were not electricians.

I have given the reasons why I would not entertain an adapter.

The reason I suggested two outlets was because a double socket is rated at 13A, the potential dryer load. The CH needs a 3A fuse, so I thought it best to fit a single socket for the dryer and another outlet (either another single socket or a switched fused spur) for the CH.

I have no doubt about who might be an electrician here, and who might be an over-cautious zealot - lacking commonsense.......

Lucia.

Well thanks all for the replies. I find it quite worrying though that all of you electricians can't agree on something that seems quite simple. God knows how a consumer can come up with a decission if none of you can agree.

Anyway i had an electrician around today to quote on an outside light so asked about this too. He said it was fine and to just use an adapter. For now i'll do that and as the POD said i'll keep an eye on it.

most of us agree that using an adapter block is NOT the best way of doing things and yes we will all have our prefered way of doing things but remember a safe approach is to have independant control on the 2 items

Jacko, you're a persistent lille devil, aren't you?

I hereby confer the title of "Electrician" upon you, dear.

That's all you need, isn't it - or, are you the official forum spokesman?

Lucia.

Greetings all,

Its getting a little complex so,,,

1/ If the dryer is complete with the manufactures lead and 13 amp plug, then it is safe to assume that the maximum load will not exceed 13 amps.

2/ Adaptors are legal, and while many professionals dislike them, one can use them. However, they are fitted with a 13 amp internal fuse and should the potential load exceed this, which in this case it could, then it is not advisable to use an adaptor, as the dryer can draw 13 amps on its own.

3/ The ideal solution is to change the single socket for a twin, or mount another single socket adjacent to it.

4/ The 16 amp mcb should still cope with the additional load, providing there is nothing else on the circuit other than the boiler.

5/ And yes,,, there's usually more than one way to skin a cat... as in this case...!!

Aww, you said you were going to have a go at me! That was explaining yourself at best. Didn't even question my competence or anything :cry: :cry:. Ah well, at least I got the belittling 'dear', though you use it so often and indiscriminately I'm starting to wonder if it's not just your way, and it's not the deliberate patronising dig it appears to be. Certainly loosing its effectiveness, anyway - try some variety in your insults :).

OP - actually, after the initial confusion/banter regarding what exactly you were talking about, caused by the sparsity and inaccuracy of the information you provided, the advice, from electricians and non-electricians alike, was pretty consistent - dont use an adaptor block. Instead do the job properly and provide a proper outlet for the appliance. No confusion.

Liam

Liam dear, I use the term 'dear' habitually. It's nothing but a form of address, although I often use it as a term of endearment - not that you should worry on that score.

I have no idea whether it's "loosing its effectiveness", and I couldn't care less, dear.

The O/P asked a question, and has declared himself satisfied with my reply - whether you like it or not.......

There's nowt as queer as folk, dear.

Lucia.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back