Tumble Dryer

atm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there everyone.. this should be nice an simple i hope..

Putting in a tumble dryer which is located away from any socket and is extremely well situated within a cupboard next to the CU cupboard.. (condenser dryer)

is plenty of room on the board to add another mcb..

will be using a 32amp mcb and 2.5mm t&e to a double socket to run the 3.84kw dryer...

assume this is ok..

Sponsored Links
There will be someone who knows what they're talking about along soon, but a 32 Amp MCB sounds a bit big for a radial circuit run in 2.5mm T&E. 20 Amp would probably be better.

3.84 Kw sounds a bit chunky for an appliance running from a 13 Amp socket as well.

3840 W / 230 V = 16.7 Amps :eek:

I won't mention part P and adding a new circuit if you don't

has a 13amp fuse in plug.. where else are u meant to plug in a tumble dryer?

My point is you quoted the rating of the drier as 3.84 Kw.
2.84 Kw / 230 Volts = 12.35 Amps, which is within the limits of a 13 Amp socket, but 3.84 Kw is too much.

Sponsored Links
will be using a 32amp mcb and 2.5mm t&e to a double socket to run the 3.84kw dryer...

assume this is ok..

32A MCB would not be acceptable for 2.5mm T&E as the current carrying capacity of this cable is lower than the MCB.

Use a 20A MCB with 2.5mm T&E, you will require RCD protection for this circuit.

Depending wether or not you have an RCD on your current consumer unit you may be able to install an RCBO.

The provision of a new circuit could come under part P and will be notifiable depending on location.

assume this is ok..

32A MCB would not be acceptable for 2.5mm T&E as the current carrying capacity of this cable is lower than the MCB.

Use a 20A MCB with 2.5mm T&E, you will require RCD protection for this circuit.

Depending wether or not you have an RCD on your current consumer unit you may be able to install an RCBO.

The provision of a new circuit could come under part P and will be notifiable depending on location.

ok cool.. so will put a 20amp mcb on the rcd side of the cu... that ok?

am right in thinking that the 32amp mcb would be fine if i was doing a ring and not the radial?

Because you have 2x 2.5mm² conductors for L&N & 2 x 1.5mm² conductors for the cpc.

has a 13amp fuse in plug.. where else are u meant to plug in a tumble dryer?
Is it a factory fitted plug or has someone fitted it afterwards?
As has been said, the appliance needs almost 17A.
A ring is no use as it isn't designed to fit appliances of this nature.

As Spark123 said,

"A ring is no use as it isn't designed to fit appliances of this nature."

You need a radial 20A circuit wired in a cable with cross sectional area suited to the conditions.

Yes the 32A MCB would be fine if you were installing a 2.5mm ring circuit.

and place the mcb on the rcd side of the cu yeah?

Sorry i was being a little unclear whilst in general a 32A would be fine for a ring circuit , however from the information you have provided as stated in other posts you would need to fit a 20A MCB on the RCD side of the consumer unit.

Are you sure the appliance rating is correct?? is it some industrial tumble dryer ??

What ppl are trying to say here is that a 17A appliance will be to excesive for a 13A socket outlet which would be installed on a ring.

Rgds

Carpman

As Spark123 said,

"A ring is no use as it isn't designed to fit appliances of this nature."

You need a radial 20A circuit wired in a cable with cross sectional area suited to the conditions.

so just to check .
20amp mcb on the rcd side of the cu using 2.5mm t&e supplying a single double socket on a radial curcuit...

ok?

Yes the 32A MCB would be fine if you were installing a 2.5mm ring circuit.

and place the mcb on the rcd side of the cu yeah?

Sorry i was being a little unclear whilst in general a 32A would be fine for a ring circuit , however from the information you have provided as stated in other posts you would need to fit a 20A MCB on the RCD side of the consumer unit.

Are you sure the appliance rating is correct?? is it some industrial tumble dryer ??

What ppl are trying to say here is that a 17A appliance will be to excesive for a 13A socket outlet which would be installed on a ring.

Rgds

Carpman

here it is

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...+and+dryers|9554219/Trail/searchtext>BEKO.htm

From what I can gather the dryer you link to requires 2225watts which equates to just under 10A.
It consumes 3.84 kWh/cycle which means your electric meter will go up 3.84 units each time you do a full cycle.
So, back to plan B :LOL:. A 20A or a 16A circuit to a single socket would be ideal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back