Tumble Dryer in the Garage

It's a heat pump condenser, lot of technology in there.. It's a++ rated too, whereas I don't think a 150 quid conventional one ever gets higher than a c because it's resistive heated. Which did a workup a year or so ago on the total cost of ownership of various dryers for X years, and the winner was some 700 quid Panasonic I think.. Essentially it dried their test load for a grand total of 20p worth of electric, and the worst performer used a quids worth.. It wasn't even that cheap of a dryer but it was less than half the Panasonic.. Putting the dryer on once a day meant that over 1250 drying cycles (I think it was 250 weeks worth of 5 loads per week) the expensive machine was a considerable chunk less than the cheap one (300 for machine plus 1000 in energy, versus 700 for a machine and 200 in energy, for example)

Depends how much you use it of course. Some people are dirty buggers and only change once a week. Some people have 3 kids and if a laundry appliance breaks down its pandemonium

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I have the £150 conventional one. Only used when not possible to dry washing outside, generally only in the winter. Probably 100 uses per year, maybe even less.
Maximum run time is about 2 hours, a lot less for certain types of fabric. 3-4 kWh per load, or about 40p.
At £40 per year, it 's well over 10 years to even cover the additional cost of the expensive one, assuming it even lasted that long.

The main reason I wanted to buy a condensing dryer is that I don't want to have to drill a big hole through the pre-constructed concrete panels caging the garage.
I can understand that.

On the other hand it is performance I am concerned about as many people have argued that condensing dryers require a lot longer to dry cloths on heavy load.
They certainly do. They take longer, and use more electricity, on any loads.

IIRC there are, or used to be, different criteria for energy consumption classes for condensing and vented driers, i.e. they perform differently and you cannot compare a Class A condensers with Class A vented.

At £40 per year, it 's well over 10 years to even cover the additional cost of the expensive one, assuming it even lasted that long.
Maybe the costs should be more properly accounted and apportioned.

Have you noticed what's happening to the climate?

Zanussi Tumble Dryer (Condenser) load capacity 2 - 5 kg. max power 2700 W, 13 amp plug and socket.
Bought 1996 !! Been in regular use since.
We only use the 'green' setting (2kW total power), on an 80mins full cycle 2.21 kWh measured at the socket.
Generally we use 45 - 60 min cycle.
We are pleased with the old piece of kit - not rusty at all.

Filter cleaned / container emptied after each cycle, condenser washed through monthly basis. (less than 10 mins total)
1 new drum belt and minor door malfunction fixed.

Unheated detached garage, reasonable ventilation... 2012 garage electrics renewed from Consumer Unit. No problems just updating.

Thinking about its age perhaps I should stick a spare wireless camera nearby to monitor function...
Maybe a remote fire alarm...

PS. Knowing the belt routing could be useful if/when it breaks !!

Thanks to RaGeBe
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ragebe/sets/72157623730027559/with/4524038148/

-0-

Last edited:
What about Candy as a brand?

I spotted some good reviews for a model, people sounded generally happy with the drying performance,
apart from a few minor issues with the design.

When I was young electrical fittings had to be at least 5 feet ( or something like that height ) above the floor to avoid the risk of petrol vapour being ignited by a spark in a switch.
The NEC over here contains strict requirements in a commercial garage for any electrical equipment mounted less than 18 inches above the floor, considering it to be a hazardous location and requiring conduit seals at entry & exit points, appropriate accessory boxes, etc. The rules are relaxed for a domestic garage, but then only so long as the floor is not below exterior grade level and there is at least one door which opens directly at grade level. If not, then the hazardous location rules apply (e.g. if you had anything installed in an inspection pit).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back