Query for roofing companies and references?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can you let me know what is expected in terms of references for work I want doing (approx 3 days' work cost £2,400-£2,800)?
I got a few quotes, and the few I'm interested in have reviews online (one in particular has 80 odd good reviews on Checkatrade, a few good ones in other sites/google review etc).

When I ask for references/examples of similar work I'm told I can see these online (reviews/photos). Or I just never hear from them again...

Is asking for references unusual nowadays? Is it common practice now to just go off internet reviews/photos of should I keep going until I find someone willing to provide references?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your response, and I agree. It's just that there have been so many now who give the same response (reviews/photos online) when I ask for references... or just don't reply.
Trying to establish if this is normal practice (customers relying on online stuff) now or if I should insist on them providing references.
Would you be happy to do so if asked?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your response, and I agree. It's just that there have been so many now who give the same response (reviews/photos online) when I ask for references... or just don't reply.
Trying to establish if this is normal practice (customers relying on online stuff) now or if I should insist on them providing references.
Would you be happy to do so if asked?

Ideally - They should be able to provide you with local past customers addresses, where you should be able to go round and talk face to face with them. Be very wary of anyone you find via the Checkatrade types of site, the site gets paid for the leads the pass on, they get friends to post up good reviews and bad reviews are quickly deleted. The sites makes it easy for itinerants to register, take your money for doing little or nothing, then they run. They do not go door to door touting for work now, they register on these sites.

There are numerous examples of bad work done by such cowboys, on this forum.

Okay, thank you. That's very helpful - I did not know this about such websites. And, indeed, only found it by looking up info on hiring traders on Citizen's Advice (though they also say to ask for references). Thanks again...the search continues

Okay, thank you. That's very helpful - I did not know this about such websites. And, indeed, only found it by looking up info on hiring traders on Citizen's Advice (though they also say to ask for references). Thanks again...the search continues

Try your local council - some of them maintain a list of reliable contractors.

Contractors not giving out past customers details for you to contact may fall under GDPR in how their details are stored or used for, I guess online reviews are convenient to the tradesman then

Perhaps, though I'd be expect they'd ask the past customer first if it's okay. That's the thing, though, if it's not common practice anymore then it may just be awkward .
Anyway, I've messaged my council to see if they have a list of traders. May have a wander 'round my neighbourhood too, see if anyone's had any recent work done on house...

Contractors not giving out past customers details for you to contact may fall under GDPR in how their details are stored or used for, I guess online reviews are convenient to the tradesman then

It would be normal to ask the customer if they would be happy to provide references first, anyway. It would be wrong to post photos taken without permission, on a website.

It is quite common for crooks to republish photos taken from someone elses's website.

Another thing you can do when driving around locally, is to look out for houses having their roofs done. You can ask for a card, or photograph the details on the van, and the address where it is being done. If you call round a few weeks later the householder may be willing to offer an opinion. Sometimes they are more affable if outside washing the car or mowing the lawn than if you bang on the door. A friendly neighbour who knows you at least by sight may be more open. Or you can form an opinion by any signs of workmanship you can detect.

I often ask for references and had no problem before , before being provided, in fact having a quote recently for a Sliding Gate, they guy when measuring up for the quote actually told of us of similar sites they had installed locally to look at, before i asked.
With windows a few years ago on old property , we also had references given, who we could go and see the householder.
When i look at Check-a-trade look at the negative responses and see if there are any common issues , rather than the positive ones , even if recommended , i will often look at negative online reviews , common issues / trends tend to tell a story , but all taken in context.
I suspect now with internet and easier to setup website, looking on line is a simple way for them to show off work.
I must admit , we had a lot of trouble finding someone to do our roof/fascia & Soffits , some of the cowboys that turned up.

Thanks all, I appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

It is quite common for crooks to republish photos taken from someone elses's website.

Yep, so very easy, too easy. One thing you can do is a to copy and paste a photo into Google and do an image search, to see if it comes up on another site - maybe the one they have stolen it from.

There was a bloke on here a while back that had some firm with glowing reviews online come and do some work, but it turns out the work was complete crap and the firm were the "travelling" type (and I don't mean a mobile workforce) and when confronted about the dodgy work it was "Pay up tomorrow or else".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back