Recommend companies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately in the past I have been struck by some cowboys when trying to make improvements to my home. I'm quite curious now about who I go with because I do not want to get robbing bast**** robbing my money again. I've being looking at a few companies which are below. Both companies don't have much reviews thats why I'm asking. Has anyone used these companies before, if so please tell me your experience with them. Also, any recommendations from other companies would be nice too
For reference I am trying to rewire my house since the electrics are old.

Sponsored Links
do you know anyone locally who can recommend people - or look on some social media sites - like Nextdoor and see what companies are recommended over and over again.....

its very difficult to find good trades .... we have had a few recommended people , who do not quote , or follow-up
Had a good electrician , but he has really gone off the boil, nolonger bothering to return calls - another was pretty useless i had to correct some of his work , this was kitchen fitters using a subcontractor they have always used......

Unfortunately in the past I have been struck by some cowboys when trying to make improvements to my home. I'm quite curious now about who I go with because I do not want to get robbing bast**** robbing my money again. I've being looking at a few companies which are below. Both companies don't have much reviews thats why I'm asking. Has anyone used these companies before, if so please tell me your experience with them. Also, any recommendations from other companies would be nice too
For reference I am trying to rewire my house since the electrics are old.

Well for a start I don't trust 'trust a trader', it took me years to get removed from their list for washing machine repairers... something I've never done workwise but according to the site I was 'vetted and approved' by them. While going through that process I was in contact with a sizable group in the same position.

Local facebook groups seem to be the thing nowadays and I am sure you can get good recommendations. The sparky we got from it was a lovely bloke, kept all the ladies happy, and didn't charge too much, but the workmanship when he installed a new fuse board was borderline shoddy. probably recommendation from another trade is best.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Agree that personal recommendations are the best. I have found that social media recommendations can’t always be relied on because sometimes it’s the wife/mother/etc giving the glowing review!

It’s a bit of a minefield but, for your project - a rewire. This will be new circuits and consumer unit. This is notifiable work and MUST be done by a registered electrician. So make sure that your chosen company is on the LABC list.
They can be found here https://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/

Agree that personal recommendations are the best.
I also agree, in theory, but even that is merely 'the least of the evils'. The vast majority of the general public are only able to judge a trader on thee basis of things like tidiness/cleanness, punctuality, 'reliability', 'pleasantness' etc. etc., together with the fact that what has been done 'seems to work satisfactorily' - but have no real way of knowing how 'competently'(or even 'safely') the work has been done.

In most fields of live, many of the 'cowboys' are very good 'con artists' - 'charming', convincing in what they say, tidy & punctual etc., even if when they are incompetent and/or are 'ripping off' the customer.

Kind Regards, John

I volunteer at local heritage railway, and when I want a tradesman I ask there. It does not matter if the church, the pub, or WI, best is ask locals.
Indeed - but, as I wrote, don't expect recommendations to meaningfully relate to 'electrical competence', since the great majority of people are not in a position to make a judgement about that.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back