New Estate UK who supplies/owns what?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have moved in to a new house on a brand new estate (2021 it was built) I had a few questions about the electrical supply to the estate and who the DNO is. It isn’t quite what I thought, and I am just genuinely curious. I have included a drawing I made of how I assume the street is connected up to the main entrance road and electrical supply. My questions are:

Do my DNO, Northern Powergrid, no longer fit or maintain the apparatus in new estates, is the main cable to my estate owned by them or a separate company mentioned on my main fuse (ENERGETICS ELECTRICITY)?

My supplier from default was British Gas, the meter says it is the property of ‘MM3’, however. Do they supply the meter and then it is connected to British Gas?

The service cut out for the incoming supply for my house (photo included) says ‘ In case of loss of supply, contact ENERGETICS ELECTRICITY’ I would have expected that to say Northern Powergrid, as I always thought they installed and supplied the main cables to the houses and running under the streets?

There seem to be a few different names/companies involved and it is rather confusing. Just trying to get my head around it all.

Attachments

• IMG_6910.jpeg
    IMG_6910.jpeg
    316.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0125.png
    IMG_0125.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0126.jpeg
    IMG_0126.jpeg
    482 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
The DNO is responsible for cables to the property and the cutout.
Your energy supplier is responsible for the meter and possibly that isolator.
You are responsible for everything after that.

However new builds may be installed by other companies such as Energetics.
Meter installation may be subbed out to other companies particularly by the likes of British Gas who can't be bothered to do it themselves.
None of that changes who you contact.

If you change supplier, the meter is usually transferred to them, regardless of who installed it in the first place.

Do my DNO, Northern Powergrid, no longer fit or maintain the apparatus in new estates, is the main cable to my estate owned by them or a separate company mentioned on my main fuse (ENERGETICS ELECTRICITY)?

Yes and No.

Northern Power grid still do as they always did, however it seems that they may have not been involved in your housing estate, there exist a category of companies called IDNOs who can also install and mantain section of infrastructure, they are like DNOs, but not regionally defined. Now I think insfrstructure installed by them can later be adopted by the DNO, but by default they are down to look after it:

My supplier from default was British Gas, the meter says it is the property of ‘MM3’, however. Do they supply the meter and then it is connected to British Gas?

Metering is separate again from networks, normally the supplier will contract a meter operator to install and maintain a meter, however if you change suppliers, the meter might be owned by a company different from the one they normally use, in some cases the meter opperator may be an offshoot of the supplier. There is also a data collection company involved, where smart meters are concerned, this is so that when you move supplier, they can still make use of the smart functions, as the first generation was a complete mess up and waste of money in terms of this

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back