Query regarding boarding loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a loft query? We are having someone come on Friday to look at it all in detail (no chance I'm doing this one) but I'm impatient to be honest.

We're looking into boarding our loft and maybe decorating it a little (plasterboard and possibly a velux window). The idea is it could be used as a play room at some future, would have a little storage (some CDs and books I would imagine, and be able to have two people up there together). We have no intention of it ever being classed as habitable, there won't be a fixed staircase and the headroom wouldn't be high enough without having a full blown conversion which we aren't interested in.

Details:
-mid-terraced 1890s Victorian house.
-Roof is apex with old rafter and purlin construction (double purlin each side of roof). Marley tiles with breathable membrane underlay.
-Loft dimensions are roughly 5m x 7m.
-The current ceiling joists (this isn't 100% exact) are 60mm x 90mm with roughly 400mm spacing. The span goes about 3.5m I believe (there are two internal walls in the middle of the house, brick construction and go into the cellar so look loadbearing).
-The ceiling joists currently hold the old laft plaster ceilings rather the modren plasterboard.

Obviously I know someone needs to look properly (which they are), but I am just wondering if it is even feasible that this would be suitable for what we intend without spending lots and lots? Also if building regs do apply to this (we don't want it habitable but still want it done properly).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back