Query regarding Earth Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced the bath - but there wasn't any earth bonding. Where can I buy the clamps and what do I ask for?

Is it OK to run the earth back to another pipe which has a clamp?

For the radiators - I assume that as long as both sets of pipes are connected and earthed that's all that's needed?

Thanks
Unfinished (hoping to be finished soon)

Sponsored Links
www.tlc-direct.co.uk
www.toolstation.com
www.screwfix.com
your local electrical factors.
Earth clamp. Possibly 'tenby style earth clamp'
Note that ones with a blue label instead of a silver one are
made for damp conditions (the galvenising is thicker, so they cost 50p each instead of 30p)

X bond in 4mm or thicker from metal pipes whose fittings (taps radiators etc) can be touched to the earth cores of all circuits that enter the bathroom (e.g. lights/showers/ water heaters) as appropriate. DO NOT run a separate bond back to the main earth, this is a classic gotcha, under a fault it can make things worse. (Search other threads for why..)
regards M.,

Consider as well what you are best doing if things are supplied with plastic pipes..

Sponsored Links
mapj1 said:
www.tlc-direct.co.uk
www.toolstation.com
www.screwfix.com
your local electrical factors.
Earth clamp. Possibly 'tenby style earth clamp'
Note that ones with a blue label instead of a silver one are
made for damp conditions (the galvenising is thicker, so they cost 50p each instead of 30p)

X bond in 4mm or thicker from metal pipes whose fittings (taps radiators etc) can be touched to the earth cores of all circuits that enter the bathroom (e.g. lights/showers/ water heaters) as appropriate. DO NOT run a separate bond back to the main earth, this is a classic gotcha, under a fault it can make things worse. (Search other threads for why..)
regards M.,
can make things worse can make them better most of the time it will make negligable difference

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back