question about building garden steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

I am building some steps up a steep slope

I am basing the design on our next door neighbours (pic attached) and I was wondering how to drive the metal posts into the ground. it looks back breaking! and also where to get them from - or any oher alternatives you could think of.

bare in mind I haven't done this before, so i don't have much equipment...

the steps are going to be made from 8 x 4 sleepers.

Thanks very much in advance for any replies!

Nick

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying!

Im not comitted to that method...but im a bit wary of using concrete. I've never used concrete before, and Im not sure id have as much luck in doing a good job!

it's probably not nearly as hard as you think, and is a handy skill to have. pavingexpert is full of advice on this. What would make your project a bit more straightforward would be that you are only having to lay small amounts of concrete at a time. also, since there is a bit of 'give' in concrete when first laid, getting levels etc right shouldn't be too hard.

Sponsored Links
thanks again - it might come to that if, I cant work out a way of doing it with the posts...very helpful link, thank you

would it be very hard to just hammer them into the ground with a mallet? i think they are around 4 cm thick

do you mean the metal posts? probably not that difficult, so long as you don't hit a rock on the way down and the posts are strong enough not to go out of shape when hit. I'd have thought that the difficulties might arise from (a) acquiring suitable metal posts -- though you might already have some (b) cutting them to a suitable length --- difficulty will depend on how strong the posts are and what tools you have available and (c) getting them to hold the timber nice and firmly.

you might have a look at this where they didn't have any supports at the front at all but used rebar (steel dowel) and bolts

http://2minutegardener.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/garden-elements-landscape-timber-stairs.html

this design actually looks like the one in your photo minus the metal bars. whoever built the ones in your picture used what look like timberlok screws --- should be easy enough to screw through new softwood sleepers if that's what you'll be using.

ah the steel dowel idea sounds great! so i guess i'd just drill a pilot hole through the timber and then just wack the steel dowels through them...

do you think id have to hire some kind of powered hammer? and do you happen to know where i might get them from? google isnt being very helpful!

yep, im using interlock screws to join the timbers

Don't know about drilling all the way through as I haven't done it. Somebody on here will know though. It would be helpful if you state what kinds of sleepers you will be using, e.g. new treated softwood, oak etc. Some will take much more to drill through than others.

Sleepers are often fixed as mentioned by drilling holes and simply hammering pins/rods through them into the ground.

I would be careful using sleepers as treads for steps because they are deadly slippy when wet or at all green/ mouldy.

Your neighbour looks to have used off cuts of scaffold tube. This would not be that hard to hammer in with a sledge hammer.

How many do you have to do?

I have made quite a few simillar steps using about 22mm x 150mm planks, and 3" pointed posts, about 2ft long.
You can probably buy short pre pointed posts but I used longer ones cut in half/thirds and old scraps of 3"x3" and pointed them on the circular saw.
(I know you can get short 2" posts sold as setting out pegs)

Treat the planks both sides with creosote before fitting. They won't last for ever, but will last many years and it's easy to change a board if it rots through

You can backfill the steps by levelling off the exisiting soil or use hardcore/stone etc if you're feeling posh

You don't even need to nail the boards on, if you put the posts on the downhill side.

Cut the posts level with the top of the boards when you're all done

thanks very much for all your answers...really helpful.

In the end i went with the concrete option. A friend told me about postmix - i never knew how easy it was! ive put up a pic of how far i have got..

I have drilled holes in the undersides of the steps, put some steel bar in the holes, and then pushed the step through the postmix into the ground, and then watered the mix....i think this is the correct way of doing it...

i have also screwed each step to each other using landscaping screws.

Im a bit worried about the underlying soil as it is very soft and sandy, and is basically just crumbling away..

I would have painted the sleepers with creosote had i read this earlier...although i was looking elsewhere and it said its hard to put anything on to sleepers until theyve been hanging around for a year or so. do you think i need to put something on to reseal the exposed wood where i have cut the sleepers?

i am knackered. i a m not used to actual work

sorry for the sideways pic!

also to answer the other things. i have twelve steps to do (7 left)...and they are softwood.

ha thankyou, sage advice!

and thanks for the link, im off to get some end grain stuff (and i shall enjoy trying to put it up in wood i've already put in the ground :/// - its all in the planning)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back