Railway sleepers as steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This is my first post and I'm hoping to find some advice about building some steps with sleepers. I've read other posts and other forums but they all approach the problem in the same way, cutting the steps into a slope and fixing the sleepers on top.

We have a long garden which is on an incline all the way up. 3/4 of the way up is a hump which elevates that part of the garden to a higher level than the slope. We actually want the higher part of the garden to start before where it is does currently so I can't cut the steps into the slope. I need to build the steps I front of the current slope and then back fill it with soil.

My problem is, not being particularly good at these things, how do I build 3 steps with sleepers and I presume hardcore (or alternative) beneath, without any earth behind it during the build?

Thanks in advance
Russ H

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back