Garden steps / steep pitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, bit of a novice to garden/landscaping - I usually build extensions etc and don't really get involved to this degree.

But, a family friend has asked me to build some steps in a garden, its a pretty steep pitch to get down, and I think any form of concrete and masonry solution would prove to be too expensive.

I wondered if there was a way I could use sleepers driven into the ground etc?

Ideas welcome....

Sponsored Links
search for "sleepers" on pavingexpert.com first link gives loads of info

Don't do the lazy landscaper trick of using sleepers as treads, they are a proper death trap when at all damp.

Its done so much and thats because its the fastest easiet way to build steps on a steep slope but really it is not worth the saving, i have customers constantly asking me to nail chicken wire, rubber matting and all sorts of other things to them just to be able to use them.

Sleepers on end set in concrete can provide quick and easy solution to the retaining side when you need to cut into the hill/ to hold in any material where you are oversailing the edge of the natural ground.

Wnding/ snaking steps will work best because you can get more rising over less of a going.

See this picture for illustration.

http://www.sjsmithhomeandgarden.co.uk/landscaping-holywood-3/sleeper-steps-after/

The cheapest method is to use sleepers as risers and gravel as treads but obviously you step on the edge of the tread when using steps so the above slippiness warning applies

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back