Question about cold water pressure reducing valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a Megaflo unvented indirect cylinder. Recently, it started to leak. I got a certified plumber to come and sort it out and he replaced some part but he also repiped the overflow to the outside of the house as it had been piped to go straight into the (plastic) soil stack (which he deemed was unsuitable). When this was done, it became obvious that the overflow is permanently leaking (so another fault).

They then told me that I needed a cold water pressure reducing valve and I was later quoted £165.75 for that (part, labour and VAT). However, having no knowledge of plumbing, I am wondering if that is a fair price, especially as the plumber who carried out the repairs did not communicate well and I understood that he just needed another part to complete the repair and that was included in the £118 I was quoted for the first repair.

So basically, does £165.75 sound reasonable for a cold water pressure reducing valve or am I being taken advantage of here?

Thanks for any info! :)

Sponsored Links
Not sure out megaflow but bought one recently for Oso and it was about this price. :confused:

I got a new one lying in my garage - but I can`t fit it cuz, I`ve not got unvented cert :cry: . That`s if anyone even wanted it - I`ll have a google and see if I can recognise it

Sponsored Links
A pressure reducing valve & non return valve which should have been
installed with the tank? I would be surprised if it wasn't installed
as they usually come with the tank.
Sheffield also has quite high mains pressure in places up to 7 bar.

The part costs £24 including vat and assuming I can switch the water off
and the pipe is easily accessible I can fit one in 30 minutes with time for a cup of tea with biscuit.

I leave you to decide if it is a fair price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back