Question about holes, sealants and expanding foam!

• Thread starter Deleted member 117567
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 117567

Hi everybody,

I'm new here - and completely new to DIY so please help!

I am looking to seal/plug some holes that we have around our pipes, as it's an old Victorian building and mice seem to use those as their entry points.

I have got some Polyfilla expanding foam, but the can says you can not use it where it'll be exposed to temperatures over 60c.

So what do I do to seal the space around my hot water pipes?

Also, I've never used Polyfilla expanding foam - any tips here?

Many thanks for any advice you can give!
Lisa

Sponsored Links
I have got some Polyfilla expanding foam, but the can says you can not use it where it'll be exposed to temperatures over 60c.
It would be easier to check the temperature of the pipe once the water is running.
So what do I do to seal the space around my hot water pipes?
You can get a higher temperature expanding foam or make good with sand/cement
Also, I've never used Polyfilla expanding foam - any tips here?
Never used polyfiller expanding foam but normally don't spray more than 50% as it will continue to expand over 24 hrs

most expanding foam sticks better if the adjacent surfaces are wet. so the hole your pipes run through splash them with water first.

never touch the foam for at least a week

why not not bother with the foam and put some steel wool around the pipes, apparently mice cant eat that, foam they will probably enjoy.

Would the use of Iron wire wool not cause an Electrolytic reaction with the dissimilar metal of the pipe?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, not sure about steel wool. I have had to use it temporarily but I do need a more permanent - and more sightly solution.

:D
Thanks!

cement.jpg

needs to have water and sand added, but they wont be able to eat it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back