question about hollow plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is a very stupid question, but how do you know if plaster sounds hollow when tapped? I have very old plaster with cracks and when I tap in different places I can hear subtle differences in the sound but I can't tell what sounds hollow.

Sponsored Links
Apologies if this is a very stupid question, but how do you know if plaster sounds hollow when tapped? I have very old plaster with cracks and when I tap in different places I can hear subtle differences in the sound but I can't tell what sounds hollow.

That should be fairly obvious, by the hollow sound, compared to the dull sound of good sound plaster - like a drum. It will also feel a little different, because hollow plaster will move a little.

@Harry Bloomfield thanks I think I have worked it out. I think it's because there are quite large areas that are sounding hollow that it was difficult to hear any difference. I can obviously fill the crack but is there any way of sticking back plaster once it's come loose or should I just not touch it and wait for it to fall off?

I think I heard of ways to refix it, but obviously the best way is to remove and replaster. I think I remember injecting PVA behind loose plaster as one way, but you would need a method to push the loose plaster to the wall. Another way would be to drill into the wall and pull it back with a screw/plug.

Sponsored Links
One of the best ways to hear loose plaster, tiles, even wallpaper, etc, is, to run the back of your hands/finger nails across the wall, far more effective than tapping/knocking on the walls.

One of the best ways to hear loose plaster, tiles, even wallpaper, etc, is, to run the back of your hands/finger nails across the wall, far more effective than tapping/knocking on the walls.
Interesting I have never heard of that before. Just tried it and you can really hear the difference in sound. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back