question about lawn close to a tree and leveling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Hope you are had a good Easter holiday.

I am planning to create lawn and lay turf in my garden.(image attached)

My questions are:

1- Can i lay the turf close to the tree all the way to the tree itself? woud tree actaully kill the lawn becuase of the roots and the nutritious it absorb from the soil? I dont mind getting rid of the tree, it cost around 400 but if i can get away with it and still have a green lawn close to the tree, i just leave it.

Also, I am wondering where its best to set the garden level, considering the manhole is quite raised and the dam floor level which is marked.

I will be using the edge brick (one can be seen in the photo by the wall) to create edge around. How much should I raise the floor consdering top soil and turf itself for a nice flush job?

If you have any suggestion that could save me money and still provide a good finish, I would be glad if you share it.

Thank you all for your help

please click on the photo for it to enlarge.

Sponsored Links
you can certainly turf right into the tree. As its a well established tree it won't do either turf or tree any harm.

As for levels you must keep it at least 150mm minimum below your house dpc.

Manholes can be raised or lowered to suit.

Its hard to suggest what level to go for without seeing it in the flesh.

As a money saving tip a ton of grit sand is about 2/3 of the price of top soil and almost every lawn could have better drainage so unless your on really free draining soil then maybe add a ton or two of that.

Dont go for more than sand than 40-60 sand - soil though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back