Question for all...COSTS

B

Big_Spark

OK, I have a question, many of you DIYers, and I suspect the professional sparks to keep costs down, buy the cheaper brands of Consumer unit and associated Breakers.

Let me give you an example board, and ask what you paid for your one, and what you would expect to pay for one you bought. Please state the brand.

Board:

12 Way Insulated Consumer Unit (12 Usuable ways)
100A Double Pole Isolator
1 45A Type B MCB
1 32A 30mA Type B RCBO
2 32A Type B MCB's
1 20A Type B MCB's
3 6A Type B MCB's

Sponsored Links
Here we go then, having just bought one.

It was a MK Sentry 16 way split load CU, 12 useable after the isolator and RCD are fitted. It came with

1x 100A double pole isolator
1x 80a/30ma RCD
1x 40A MCB
5x 32A MCB
2x 16A MCB
2x 6A MCB

I was expecting to pay no more than £100-150 max for one. In the end I paid £75 for it off ebay. When you consider you pay about £60 for a cheap one, £75 wasn't too bad. I've seen the same priced at about £200 which I think is a bit OTT.

I fitted a wylex insulated 11 way board incorporating a 32A 30m/A RCD and 2x32A 3X6A 2X20A with a 100A DP main switch and it worked out about £100.00 customer balked at the cost of an MK board and as he was paying ...... customer always right !

I think I know you view on Wylex but I have installed both insulated/ metal cald types and they seem Ok to me ??

Jim

Wylex 12 way 98.89 loaded and inc of vat, but RCBO was Type C......cos that's all they make.

MK 5616 board (14 useable ways), 5500 isolator, 7 x mcbs and 1 x 6936 RCBO = 77.64 fully inc.

Would you believe MK cheaper than Wylex???

Sponsored Links
12 Way Insulated Consumer Unit (12 Usuable ways)
100A Double Pole Isolator
1 45A Type B MCB
1 32A 30mA Type B RCBO
2 32A Type B MCB's
1 20A Type B MCB's
3 6A Type B MCB's

All the above, I just was charged £110.28 inc VAT, bear in mind the RCBO was £41.23 on it's own, so if that was not required, then the cost would be £69.05

Discount on MK gear is like rocking horse manure..rather rare.., so I am impressed with the deals I can get from wholesalers, especially as I now get 38% off Merlin-Gerin Gear too :D

securespark said:
Jim

Wylex 12 way 98.89 loaded and inc of vat, but RCBO was Type C......cos that's all they make.

MK 5616 board (14 useable ways), 5500 isolator, 7 x mcbs and 1 x 6936 RCBO = 77.64 fully inc.

Would you believe MK cheaper than Wylex???

How and who did you rob fro that price on MK...that sounds like you got undercharged...even the wholesalers pay about £36 for MK RCBO's when they buy straight from MK..in fact I know what MK charge as I have one of their reps as a personal friend, and there should be no way MK gear can be that cheap with an RCBO in the mix. Sounds to me like they forgot that from the bill

Just got the latest Screwfix Direct through the door, so I thought I'd take a look.

12 Way Split Load Kit Box & 10 MCBs

100A DP Main Switch
63A 30 mA RCD
10 x 6kA SP MCBs consisting of;
3x6A
2x16A
4x32A
1x40A

Cost, £74.99 inc VAT. All Wylex. Is this OK and how do Wylex compare to MK?

Cheers.

FD

funkydiver said:
Just got the latest Screwfix Direct through the door, so I thought I'd take a look.

12 Way Split Load Kit Box & 10 MCBs

100A DP Main Switch
63A 30 mA RCD
10 x 6kA SP MCBs consisting of;
3x6A
2x16A
4x32A
1x40A

Cost, £74.99 inc VAT. All Wylex. Is this OK and how do Wylex compare to MK?

Cheers.

FD

Well despite all the advice I got one, mainly cos money was very short at the time. It's 'ok' and will do the job but it's very flimsy and some of the mcbs are not that great a fit on the rail. Wish I'd waited a bit really and got a decent one.

Can you tell that to my very bouncy (Tigger-like) 4 yo son??

FD

No you're not!

And this one does not consume any dodgy E numbers or anything like that.

But he does go mental and seems uncontrollable - we don't like shouting but even that doesn't help!!

securespark said:
FD

No you're not!

And this one does not consume any dodgy E numbers or anything like that.

But he does go mental and seems uncontrollable - we don't like shouting but even that doesn't help!!

I know what you are talking about, I have two of these things that drive you mad, and make you shout.

Did you have in mind that these forums are a refuge... ;) and not a DIY site?

Ah... Is this so you know how high to hike the costs of your new 'project', FWL?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back