Question for the builders - wooden windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if one of the trades could offer some advice here - we are currently having some building work done under a fixed price contract (all agreed up front) where the builder is building a waterproof shell, externally finished for fitting out by others..... all simple stuff.
As part of that the builder is supplying and fitting the windows, which had always been specified as solid hardwood (project is in AONB) ie expensive windows! The windows have arrived and gone in and look lovely.......
However, earlier on in the brickwork phase of the project it transpired that the architect had cocked up and drawn / spec'd square windows, whereas the originals we are trying to match have an arched top - no problem, we just switched from fitting lintels in the outer leaf to the builder having some arched formers made so the arches could be bricked in. Sorted.
Now come windows time, the arched formers are being used to trim off the tops of the windows and fill the gap between the brick arch and the square window - logical use of the previously made (in finished wood) formers.
BUT the arched formers which are now going to be attached to the hardwood windows are soft wood. I mentioned this to the builder who said don't worry about it, they won't get much weathering anyway... but I am not sure this is right. How smart is it to mix hard and soft woods on a window like this? Would I expect the softwood to detriorate faster? Should I be pressing the builder to replace them in hardwood?
I can see that if I ever have to replace them they are going to be a major mission, so I want to get this right first time and with a long lasting solution - should I be pressing my builder to pull his finger out and get some made in hard wood as perhaps should have been the case at the outset?
Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Rip an inch of thickness off the arch former and fit a hardwood fascia to it, to match existing.

Brilliant suggestion! a very obvious solution - thank you. Should I suggest and expect the builder to pay for and organise that?

Sponsored Links
Brilliant suggestion! a very obvious solution - thank you. Should I suggest and expect the builder to pay for and organise that?

I wouldn't like to say other than he may have fulfilled his contractual obligation in providing hardwood windows as the arch infill could be deemed separate.

It is something you will need to discuss with the builder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back