Question for tilers about marking out tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do you expert tilers out there use to mark out cermaic tiles for cutting? Trying to mark a measurement or scribe a shape on a glossy, wet tile is impossible (and for those who might ask: Wet, because sometimes it's just been trimmed using a diamond tile saw).

I've tried permanent markers but they don't work on wet surfaces, and I've tried soft pencil, but the cooling water stream on the tile saw washes it away before the blade starts to cut.

Any suggestions? How do the experts do it?

Sponsored Links
No expert, but I've used a chinagraph pencil succesfully ( the sort of things that write on glass ), suggest an arts shop.

I know about Chinagraph pencils (although never used one), but do they write on wet tiles?

I'm in the middle of tiling my bathroom and also use a water cooled tile saw. I use a fine permanent overhead projector pen and dry the tile before marking it.

Sponsored Links
As a firefighter, we user chinagraph pencils, and they will write in the rain or when you have an over excited colleague with a hose!

However they are not very thin, and also they break very easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back