Question re New GCH Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have just had a GCH system installed, and on inspecting the work I noticed the outside copper gas pipe going from main gas box to the boiler upstairs has no cover over it. I am just wondering is this normal practice - I would have expected it to have a conduit of some sort over it?

Also the black condense pipe from the boiler stops short of the ground - I thought this would be buried into the ground.

I am just wondering if I should take this up with them, or is the norm for GCH installation ?

Thank you

copper.jpg

Sponsored Links
The gas is okay (as far as no cover is concerned).
The condensate most definitely isn't - does not comply.
Is the ground a walking route? It will be an ice rink in winter.

Also the condense water is acidic so will eat away at the path.

The gas pipe could do with some identification tape on it aswell.

Also the condense water is acidic so will eat away at the path.

The gas pipe could do with some identification tape on it aswell.

It should be fairly obvious it is gas without awful yellow tape all over. ID tape is not required on domestic

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much - I think I will take up both these issues with the installer. I think the gas pipe would certainly look a bit better with a conduit.

Thank you very much - I think I will take up both these issues with the installer. I think the gas pipe would certainly look a bit better with a conduit.

you can paint the gas pipe black to match your condensate pipe, it will dull down over time anyway and be a bit less in your face bright.

the condensate needs to go into a soakaway like this.
greenspring-soak-away_57c0665ac9ff7e3fb07a1d7bf30ac428.jpg

if it isn't you can expect your concrete to be eaten away by the acidic water

Thank you for this information. So my question now is - are the central heating installer company obliged to install a suitable soakaway, as described in the diagram gasmanstu72 posted above ?

And is this a requirement for building regs ?

What type of company did the install?. What is the rest of the system like? (just being nosey).
They should certainly have complied with the requirements regarding disposal of the condensate. There is sometimes more than one option available, obviously we cannot see which were available, but yes, he is responsible for doing the work correctly.
I would be more concerned about the winter slip hazard than degradation of the concrete - he probably thought it would soak away through the impressive making good of the path above the gas service;). It may not do the brickwork any goo though.

As Dan suggests, any attempt to clad or cover the gas pipe will not improve it. You might, however, be concerned about toe rags nicking the pipe, but that is not the installers issue, unless it was pre-discussed and agreed.

The company are quite reputable, and have a good rating on the local 'Trusted Trader' scheme run by the council - here is their web site :-

http://www.domesticplumbingheating.co.uk/

I also noticed that after they left, my electric shower no longer works, and will be speaking to them about that also - I had no plans to put away that shower. Its still plumbed into the cold water supply, but no response on pressing the button.

Wouldn't that also be at risk from freezing in winter unless it has trace heating or other anti freeze mechanism/lagging? and it should normally be increased to 32mm too if run externally?

The company are quite reputable, and have a good rating on the local 'Trusted Trader' scheme run by the council - here is their web site :-

http://www.domesticplumbingheating.co.uk/

I also noticed that after they left, my electric shower no longer works, and will be speaking to them about that also - I had no plans to put away that shower. Its still plumbed into the cold water supply, but no response on pressing the button.

When you say "no response" do you mean there is no indicator light, no water or both.
The link is not working (at lest for me)

Wouldn't that also be at risk from freezing in winter unless it has trace heating or other anti freeze mechanism/lagging? and it should normally be increased to 32mm too if run externally?

It looks like either 32mm or 40mm. Regardless of the pipe, the ground will be a bit slippy. The OP has not said whether it is a walkway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back