Question re New GCH Installation

The installer's web site works for me.

In fact it looks very good although I have some sizing concerns.

Tony

Sponsored Links
The installer's web site works for me.

In fact it looks very good although I have some sizing concerns.

Tony

From the IT genius that's posted the same thing twice:rolleyes:

Well I've decided I'm just going to fix this myself - I'm going to dig a fair sized hole around the pipe and fill it with limestone chippings (a 25kg bag from Wickes is £4), and cut the pipe at ground level so it sits right on the chippings. Then the condensate will always drain away, and there's not much chance of it ever freezing. I will also put an acrylic perspex sheet in the hole against the wall to prevent condensate coming into contact with it.

The way they've just done it is not very good because condensate will only drain into the earth very slowly (it actually takes ages), and thus back up the pipe all the way to the boiler. For this 32mm pipe, every 1 litre of condensate means 1.25 metres of back up, so the present arrangement will not work at all.

Sponsored Links
Well I've decided I'm just going to fix this myself - I'm going to dig a fair sized hole around the pipe and fill it with limestone chippings (a 25kg bag from Wickes is £4), and cut the pipe at ground level so it sits right on the chippings. Then the condensate will always drain away, and there's not much chance of it ever freezing. I will also put an acrylic perspex sheet in the hole against the wall to prevent condensate coming into contact with it.

The way they've just done it is not very good because condensate will only drain into the earth very slowly (it actually takes ages), and thus back up the pipe all the way to the boiler. For this 32mm pipe, every 1 litre of condensate means 1.25 metres of back up, so the present arrangement will not work at all.

That's fair enough, but if it does block, fill back and ruin your boiler, you may have difficulty claiming against the installer.
Also beware the gas pipe in the area.

That's fair enough, but if it does block, fill back and ruin your boiler, you may have difficulty claiming against the installer. Also beware the gas pipe in the area.

That's why I'm going to drill a small hole on the top horizontal section of the pipe, on the top side of pipe, so it if did back up for any reason then it would just escape through the hole rather than get to the boiler, so the boiler could keep on working. If there was any problem with that then I would just put a bung in it.

I can't see how simply replacing the earth in the ground underneath the pipe with limestone chippings can invalidate any warranty or claim against the installer.

Last edited:
Crikey, you shouldn't be doing this for them. The condensate has to be disposed of properly, we all have to play that game and I'm livid that there are contractors out there just riding their horse through all the mandatory items we have to take the time to install, and pay for.

If we think the condense is likely to freeze, and in Angus for that length of pipe I guess that isn't impossible, we'd cut in a 32mm waste tee so it tip out of the pipe rather than it backs up and stalls the boiler.

Alternatively, and better still, if clearances allowed we'd put a condensure unit under the boiler, or fit one of the new Worcester i series boilers with the trap warmer in situ.........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back