question regarding radiator fit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wish to replace the old imperial-sized radiators in our house, total of 9. Two of these old ones measure 1540mm in width and would, according to my BTU calc, be replaced with 1400mm rads. The TRV extensions I see available on the market don't extend to the difference required (140 mm). What is the best procedure in this case? Keep the existing vertical feed and return pipes, and extend horizontally by using solder ring 90 deg elbows and 15mm pipe between the existing vertical pipe and the TRV (or lockshield)?

Sponsored Links
I have replaced a few imperial rads with metric and I use these from screwfix. 78169.

I just replace the chrome pipe with a longer section according to your measurements.
Works every time and doesn't leak, or not yet anyway

Attachments

• ae235.jpeg
    ae235.jpeg
    11.5 KB · Views: 227
Sponsored Links
Either use 1 1500mm and a TRV, or reduce size, but do it properly.

If you go for long pipes, be a mate and post some pics.

Thanks for the advice. I'll go for the 1500mm option then. I'll have to look elsewhere than Screwfix as they don't seem to do them and that's where I was looking.

A lot of shops don't do 1500mm its either 1400 or 1600 but there are places that do sell them and in my opinion will be the easiest and best looking without a lot of extra work.

I have replaced a few imperial rads with metric and I use these from screwfix. 78169.

I just replace the chrome pipe with a longer section according to your measurements.
Works every time and doesn't leak, or not yet anyway

Thanks, I bought a couple. I’m probably missing something here, but while I can fit one end of the extension into the radiator, the female thread of the other end (right in the pic) seems way to big for the 1/2 inch male thread of the TRV/LS. Please advise.

Also, to replace the chrome pipe with a longer one, do you just saw the one they supply in half?

Attachments

• C31D842A-A339-4639-B1BF-71027E522EB0.jpeg
    C31D842A-A339-4639-B1BF-71027E522EB0.jpeg
    330.4 KB · Views: 238
Hi, I thought that u were going for the 1500 rad?
I don't use Trv's and must admit to not knowing much about them , looks like they have a 1/2 inch connection, wonder if all Trv's have that same size connection and why?
Doesn't help in our situation, I haven't seen the extension pieces to cater for half inch but I suppose they must do them.
Sorry about that, I was unaware, perhaps a pro can enlighten us?

I think that’s for an older 3/4” valve.

On ours the extension was plain 15mm pipe sized into the valve and 1/2” threaded for the radiator on the other end:

BAACCCC1-A25F-4CBF-8B9F-155C22E7DE3A.png

So are rad valves changing from 3/4 inch to 1/2 inch or have there always been 2 sizes or is it just for trv.......I wonder

No idea. The old ones were 3/4 and the new ones like a 15mm compression fitting but i’m not sure if that’s normal or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back