Questionable advice about an electric blanket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got an electric blanket to sit on whilst I WFH, to avoid turning on the heating.
Amongst all the warnings in the manual was this:

"If you no longer wish to use the appliance, make sure it is unusable by cutting the power lead when disconnected and dispose of in the correct manner"

Seems a bit extreme to me. If anything a plug with some exposed flex attached that would be live if plugged in seems like a bigger hazard.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I was hoping someone might chip in with an explanation of why this risky-sounding advice was might be reasonable.
Not quite the same situation - but, It has been known for appliances that have gone for WEEE disposal to end up in charity shops etc. for resale.
As with many organisations, we need an audit trail for disposals. If an item fails a PA Test and isn't deemed repairable, we will usually disable the appliance by cutting its lead and plug off, to ensure that with reasonable diligence, an unsafe item cannot be reused/resold.

...we then keep the rewireable plugs, or add the non-rewirable ones to the scrap run!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back